Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1623973  by TheBaguettes

I understand it is more flexible, but it seems like it’s more expensive and less space efficient. I suspect it has something to do with the FRA as PATH also has a cab in each car when it clearly does not need them. I believe the subway comes in sets of around 5 for the R211,
so when not regulated by the FRA there aren’t cabs in each car.

(Yes I know the New Haven line has unpowered cars but they are not super common.)
 #1623994  by SRich

That is when an EMU is at an endstation. The driver can just switch off the cabin, walk back and turn on the cabin on the other side. Train is ready for depart after an mandatory brake test
 #1623995  by eolesen

It's not the FRA. Metra Electric has cabs and trailers. Same with South Shore, most likely same with CalTrans.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1624028  by RandallW

The CalTrain EMUs are in 7 car Cab-5 trailers-Cab trainsets with full width cabs. This gives CalTrain the flexibility to run 7 or 14 car trains.

While the MTA M2s and powered M8s are married pairs, the MTA M4s and M6s were triplets with a cab-trailer-cab design, and unpowered M8 trailers without cabs. This gave the MTA the flexibility of running trains of any length greater than 2 car with the M2/M4/M6s and of running 2 car or any length greater than 4 cars trains with the M8s. This also means they can swap out 2 car sets for maintenance instead of taking an entire 5 or 7 car train set out of service for maintenance.

The new EMUs for NJT will have trailers with or without cabs, and the powered units will be cabless.
 #1626669  by BandA

You could save a little money but lose flexibility by having fewer cabs or having cabs only on one end. Another reason to have fewer cabs would be if FRA safety standards were higher for cars with cabs (potentially front of train) vs cars without cabs (in-between cars or back of train).
 #1626691  by R36 Combine Coach

Were M-4/M-6 "D" cars and the M-8 single units subject to locomotive inspections since motorized?

PATH's PA1/PA2 and PA5 "C" cars are known as motorized trailers, same with R44 and R46 B units (converted to
linked sets, except on SIRT).

The Lackawanna used a motor coupled to a trailer, both with cabs.