Railroad Forums 

• WAG I-10 Cabooses Rehash

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1624048  by nydepot

I'd like to talk about the WAG I-10 wooden cabooses again in regards to the rebuilding the B&O did. I think the WAG cabooses escaped some of the B&O rebuilds. I'm not sure and would hope Mr Brown will chime in. The info comes in handy of you intend to model one of these caboose using the Overland brass model. I'd like to get the info all in one thread, instead of all the former threads.

Thanks for any input.

WAG caboose link: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList ... =WAG&cid=1

The brass models have some of their own issues too, I understand.

Some photos of the brass models:

Pre-rebuild:
WAG-Pre.jpg
WAG-Pre.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 559 times
Post-rebuild:
WAG-Post.jpg
WAG-Post.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 559 times
 #1624052  by BR&P

Charles, much could be said on the subject, and I'll start by recommending a fine book "Encyclopedia Of B&O Cabooses Volume 5" by Dwight Jones. He has done an incredible job of documenting the history of these cars and I won't try to duplicate his efforts in this thread.

The WA&G inherited 3 B&O class I-10 cabooses on startup - C2620 (BR&P 269), C2640 (BR&P 289) and C2654 (BR&P 303). Since the former B&S territory which became the WAG had been isolated from the rest of the B&O by flooding, those 3 cabooses did escape several programs which upgraded that class, and thus were time capsules of "as-built" BR&P cabs.

One "glitch" which has arisen from this situation pertains to the C2620. At some place and time in its history, this caboose received 4-pane side windows somewhat like a PRR caboose, and also an awning over the center cupola windows front and back. Why or where we don't know but I speculate it may have been done at Galeton while on that isolated segment, as it does not conform to "standard" B&O practice. Galeton was so "out in the sticks" that official oversight seems to have been minimal. But to the best of my knowledge, and after seeing hundreds of pictures of I-10 cabooses, that is the ONLY caboose in the series that ever got those modifications - even the other 2 WAG cabs did not.

But unfortunately, that was the caboose selected to create some of the HO models, and thus we have models such as the C2665 you show which NEVER had 4-pane windows nor an awning over the center window.

That red C2665 overall is a pretty good rendition, altho nitpicking would include the side windows being too short vertically, various paint details, lettering etc.

I just got word to meet a contractor so while my response is incomplete, I'll toss this much out and will resume when time permits.
 #1624077  by BR&P

Here are a couple interior pics which may be of interest. The cream color caboose was WAG C-2654, while the gray was C-2640. The rainbow effect is from either degradation of the slide, or a problem with the scanner.

Charles, what else are you looking for input on?
WAG C2654 interior 1 - Copy.jpg
WAG C2654 interior 1 - Copy.jpg (455.85 KiB) Viewed 471 times
WAG C2640 interior - Copy.jpg
WAG C2640 interior - Copy.jpg (430.89 KiB) Viewed 471 times
 #1624366  by BR&P

Since Charles is focusing on the modeling aspect, I'll go beyond the 3 WAG cabooses from that series and offer this. Some modelers are very casual about accuracy, some want something pretty close, and some want a very high degree of accuracy. Any of those are fine, it's your choice. But for those who might, for whatever reason, want top-shelf detail here's a word of caution.

We know there were 66 B&O cabooses in class I-10. My suggestion is if you want an accurate model of a given number, OR if you have a brass model to be painted, compare as many photos of a given caboose number with your model before just choosing any old number. Among the pitfalls -

Four of these cabooses were destroyed in the first few years of B&O ownership, before they could be renumbered with their assigned number. There was never a B&O C2611, C2612, C2622 nor C2648.

Four more were destroyed by the early 1950's.

Off the top of my head, at least 6 and probably more did not get upgraded in the 1961 program. Most of those were retired at that time, I believe one or two hung on a year or so longer.

Of those which were rebuilt, there were running changes as the rebuilding went along. Several of the earliest rebuilds retained the center window in the cupola ends, later ones didn't. There were at least two sizes of covers for the toilet vent. While not easily noticed, the sliding aluminum windows in the cupola came in 2 sizes. It should also be noted that those cars going through the rebuild program were done in random order, so such nuances were not always easy to see.

There were deviations from "standard" even among the rebuilds, with grab irons or handholds which were "wrong".

I'll again suggest those who care should get the aforementioned Volume 5 of Dwight Jones's "Encyclopedia Of B&O Cabooses", that book has an incredible depth of discussion, dates and other info.

Again, if you're not a "rivet counter" that's fine, no problem, letter and number your model as you wish. I hope this is helpful to anyone who wants to be exact.