Railroad Forums 

• F40 OCS question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1573325  by ctclark1

Pardon if I'm late to the party. I just saw a John Kucko video of the OCS being pulled across the Genesee River in Rochester. It took some digging on my part to figure out the new paint scheme on the F40's that are now CSX1 and CSX2 (ex 9998 and 9992... Last I knew CSX1 was still the Spirit of West Virginia... guess I missed that change too), but in looking that up, and in today's video, it doesn't look like the F40's are running under their own power anymore - I was wondering what that reasoning was.
 #1573326  by chrisf

They looked perfectly healthy in this video from less than a week ago:
 #1573353  by eolesen

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's not unusual for a local crew to do a repositioning move on OCS equipment using a switcher or even road power.
 #1573357  by jwhite07

Does CSX have different rules for grade crossing horn signals? Didn't sound like two longs a short and a long to me.
 #1573385  by eolesen

Could be a quiet zone and showing off for the camera...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1573633  by mmi16

jwhite07 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:36 am Does CSX have different rules for grade crossing horn signals? Didn't sound like two longs a short and a long to me.
The last scene - there were a number of shorts - there may have been something requiring 'emergency' sounding of a series of shorts to get the attention of persons or animals in danger of overlooking the oncoming train. The other road crossings all got 2 longs a short and a long. The engineer's 'short' was really short.
 #1580974  by videobruce

That paint scheme is an insult to the original B&O RR (or ANY predecessor class one) and what they stood for which CSX couldn't.
 #1623390  by Pensyfan19

Does anyone know what are the whereabouts of F40PH #9999, the only F40 which hasn't been repainted into the B&O inspired livery? It's last photo was taken in June of 2022 in North Carolina, and the last video footage of the engine was taken in July on a freight towards Philly in July 2022 (skip to 16:15).