Railroad Forums 

• A Bit Off Topic Perhaps but the End of an Era Nevertheless . . .

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1617591  by octr202

Fortunately, and while they weren't completely life-expired, the ETB's themselves were probably some of the least-critical infrastructure to a continued service. They weren't dead yet, but were 20 years old. Any ETB modernization plan would have entailed new ETB's with in-motion charging capability (most likely from New Flyer).

The traction power feeder system is probably the most critical part of the whole works and the most expensive to replicate if lost.
 #1617642  by jbvb

Go ride SF Muni's battery/overhead trolleybus network to see what the MBTA could have done. We rode a number of lines in 2021, but what impressed me most was 30 Stockton. North terminal outside a big-box sporting goods store in sight of the Golden Gate, maybe a mile beyond the end of the wire. I didn't even notice which stop they put the poles up at. Certainly no delay, I read they have guide troughs but didn't notice them arriving or departing. Priority at traffic lights, simple "validate your ticket on-board" fares, blasting through the Stockton St. tunnel at 40 MPH.

But the Muni light rail would also be an excellent example for the T; I watched and talked to a crew who were digging up pavement in the gauge while N-Judah was in service: train passes, gang picks up tools and digs, backhoe and dump truck pop out of a side street, load the debris, disappear as another train appears. I'm sure that costs but San Francisco seems to find it worthwhile.