Railroad Forums 

• Baldwin VO Engine in eBay auction

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#161298  by mxdata

Just noticed this while looking over eBay listings. You might be able to fit it into your garage if the floor can support almost 25 tons. Please note that I have nothing whatsoever to do with this auction item, I am just mentioning it as a matter of general interest:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Baldwin- ... 6302QQrdZ1

#161321  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, MX, wanna go "halves" on it ? :-D I asked how long it could be stored, and if partial dis-assembly was possible. I have a warehouse, 44 feet by 24 feet, with a 12 foot ceiling, and 18" slab re-inforced floors ! I think I will bid on it ! Thanks for the tip !

#161388  by mxdata

Thanks for the invitation but I think if I was going to acquire a diesel engine in the 1000 horsepower range I would try for an EMD 184A radial that would only take up four feet by four feet of floor space and put out 1200 horsepower! But good luck with your bidding!

By the way, this is only the latest in a string of locomotive size engines that have been auctioned on eBay. There was a used 16 cylinder 244 that Philadelphia Gear Company used for testing Navy gearboxes, there was a used Winton marine engine (don't recall what model), a Winton / Cleveland Diesel 278A (new and in the original shipping box), and at least one EMD that have been in eBay auctions over the last couple of years.

#161391  by GOLDEN-ARM

I guess I will have to expand my searches, while I'm there. I only look for LV stuff, and who would have figured locomotives, and loco parts, would be available on eBay ? Again, thanks for the heads-up. Regards :-D

#161705  by hankadam

You could not give me this engine, even if I had room for it, but I do have a little background information. It was installed in a BLW locomotive, Serial # 71748, which was delivered to the U.S. Navy Department on 4/29/45, and operated at McAlester, Oklahoma. The only odd thing I notice is that the photos of the Instruction Manuals are BLH, so they would be after the merger in the Summer of 1950, not in the BLW era of 1945. Whoever gets it - - - have fun! All the best, Hank Rentschler.

#161849  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey Hank, you know I have my bids in. Got a plan............ :wink:

#162049  by hankadam

Hey - - - GO FOR IT! These Baldwin engines are very rugged, and "easy" to fix. I doubt if you can find parts easily, but with a bit of searching there may be some around, or perhaps another engine of the same vintage, which might provide parts. Some, such as gaskets, could be manufactured new by copying the old ones, but piston rings, and bearings might be tough. Even valves could be reground. And if there is a little bit of "slop" in the wearing parts, the engine will forgive you. These VO engines were basically over-designed, as compared to the later 600 series engines that were UNDER-designed. The 600 series suffered failures of the A-frame due to higher speeds and greater operating pressures. It was always a lot of fun to watch a Baldwin locomotive chugging along at idle, particularly with the older exhaust system, with multiple "smokestacks." The slow speed engines showed (and heard) every stroke out the top. Let us know what happens, and good luck! Hank Rentschler