Railroad Forums 

• Hillsboro (Hillsborough) Branch

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1568431  by New Haven 1

I know the view is dated but when following the Hillsboro branch via satellite photo, there are a bunch of cars parked on the Granite State Concrete spur.

When was the last time they used rail?
 #1568436  by BM1566GP7

The Milford and Bennington RR operates 10 car gravel trains netween a pit in Lyneborough and the Granite State Minerals in Milford on a seasonal basis. I do not know if they have started running in 2021 yet.
 #1601400  by hillsboyro

Does anyone have old photos from rail operations west of Lyndeborough? Like Greenfield or Bennington?
 #1615136  by hillsboyro

With 509 and 503 on the line I don't think multiple mainline engines have been run here since the early 2000's with the gravel trains.
 #1626018  by Ken Rice

I think the dirt was doing as much as the remnants of the ties and spikes at holding the gage. :-)
 #1629981  by A215

That crossing is atrocious. The only time I ever came close to getting smoked at a crossing when I was conductor was here training on NA-2
 #1629986  by newpylong

I wouldn't step foot in that road without waving that flag like a mad man until they've all stopped. Good spot for some flares as well.

Route 5 in Northampton for PCA was a bad one where I worked.
 #1629997  by MEC407

6 motor vehicle lanes and two sidewalks... yikes.
 #1630007  by Ken Rice

And just about 2 car lengths (automobile type car lengths) between the tracks and an intersection with a street that parallels the tracks. Most of the drivers are probably more concerned with which of the lanes they’re supposed to be in to get where they want to go.
 #1630138  by artman

That crossing is likely to see some work done on it in about 5 years. The NH 10-year plan has a new interchange with the Broad Street Parkway being built which will connect it with Franklin Street. The preliminary plans show construction on the both the Franklin Street crossing and the Main St one