Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1608283  by Gilbert B Norman

Interesting Mr. Fan Railer.

The usual configuration for the non-powered idler axle for six wheel passenger engines' trucks is the center axle resulting in an A-1-A designation.

Wonder what prompted the change away from that traditional arrangement.
 #1608305  by Gilbert B Norman

Likely a point, Mr. Fan Railer.

However, If I correctly understand, these SD-70 engines were built and were used in freight service by a Class I prior to their sale to METRA. To my best knowledge, any such engines were C+C configured.

C+C engines used in passenger service could best be called "problematic" (remember E's and PA's were all A-1-A+A-1-A), and METRA was wise to call for de-motoring one axle on each truck. While ATSF, owing to their superior trackage, never had incidents with such with their fleet of SDP-45's, different story with those on "my MILW". While there are several photos in TRAINS with these engines leading, their "truck hunting" characteristics became evident, and they were quickly assigned as trailing units only, and post A-Day, to freight.

Nothing ever came to my attention regarding any such matters with those acquired by SP, GN, and SAL. If such made any difference, those were of the traditional "hood" design.

Now enter Amtrak and their debacle with such motive power. They ordered a fleet of 150 SD-40's and assigned them systemwide. They were AOK on the ATSF; elsewhere "mixed" with several roads having derailments arising from "hunting", and on all roads very bad lateral motion (know so first hand on the MILW where once I was on the head and the Engineer was not about to go authorized 70mph). Well that story ended with non-disclosures resulting in EMD taking those engines back as trade-ins on Amtrak's quite reliable F-40 fleet.
 #1608346  by eolesen

Ah... the SDP-40 vs. FP45 debate. One of my favorites. MILW didn't have SDP's -- they had FP45's. Slightly different beast.

One school of thought on the Amtrak SDP's problems was the location of the boiler and boiler water storage tanks. They sat up high, and that extra tank sloshing could have been a factor. Other people blamed the early HT-C trucks.

I don't know that the location of the traction motors will be a concern. Certainly boiler water won't be.

I'd always heard that crews liked the FP45's in freight service. MILW didn't want Amtrak taking them, which is why they had their boilers removed.
 #1608351  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Olesen, thank you for correcting the nomenclature of the various engines I previously noted.

Of interest if I may go off topic, I guess the MILW didn't know what to do with their "Management Trainees" most of the time. Having an Accounting degree, they had Internal Audit as a first stop on my career path. But nevertheless, I was out riding engines to become familiar with the property. I was "on the head" of Amtrak #8, Empire Builder between LaCrosse and CUS. Near Dells where the track speed was 70, I noticed we were only going maybe 55. The Fireman showed me the Orders and there was nothing about a restricted speed. The Engineer, not the friendliest guy I ever met in this life, realized I was questioning something. He then says "hey college boy, I run this thing at 70 then you will REALLY have something to write up when it spills!!!".

Finally, the lateral motion on those Amtrak SDP-40's was indeed "wild".
 #1614631  by MetraBNSF

So when do we expect to see the SD70MACHs on the rails? This article sheds some great info.

https://railfan.com/more-metra-macs-arrive-in-chicago/

More Metra MACs Arrive in Chicago

By Justin Franz

January 19, 2023

CHICAGO — Metra expects to begin testing its new SD70MACH locomotives this spring, the railroad tells Railfan & Railroad. As of this month, there are three of the six-axle passenger locomotives on the property and a fourth is currently in Colorado being tested.

Metra has purchased 15 and could eventually acquire up to 27 of the unique SD70MACHs. The locomotives are being rebuilt by Progress Rail from former Kansas City Southern/Transportación Ferroviaria Mexicana SD70MACs. This isn’t the first time Metra has used six-axle locomotives for passenger power. In the past, the agency has used former Burlington Northern E9s and Milwaukee Road F40Cs. When the SD70MACHs do enter service, they are sure to be some of the most unique locomotives in passenger service in country.
 #1623862  by GWoodle

Look up Franklin Park Rail Daze. The new SD70Mach was part of the Metra display last weekend. Try YouTube for pictures. No word when the units may be in operation.

Found the Downers Grove E-9 in the mothball line in Nashville. Still on it's wheels but rusting away. For those that don't know look up the BN Downers Grove accident. 8/26/1991.
 #1624326  by MetraBNSF

METX505 saw its first revenue run today - 6/20/23. It was on BNSF train 1223 as a part of a double header with METX211 leading. In some railfan videos posted on youtube, there appeared to be an engineer in the cab of METX505.
 #1624910  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:27 am
However, If I correctly understand, these SD-70 engines were built and were used in freight service by a Class I prior to their sale to METRA. To my best knowledge, any such engines were C+C configured.

C+C engines used in passenger service could best be called "problematic" (remember E's and PA's were all A-1-A+A-1-A),
There is a decent size subfleet of SD70 that is B1-1B that BNSF owns and is used for faster and lighter trains like intermodal. I think that arrangement was selected because (I think) there are three inverters, each run two axles, and the middle inverter was pulled so the corresponding motors were pulled.

This jibes with Alaska RRs use of SD70 in passenger service. They're (again I think) dual service and all axles are motorized but the middle inverter can drop traction leads electronically and feed that power to HEP.

As for C-C not being viable passenger power, I just don't buy it. Metra had the F40C. SP had the SDP45, SD9, and Trainmaster in passenger service. GN had the SDP40. SCL had the SDP35. There is enough succesful six axle passenger power (not to mention most British diesels and some electrics) that its a different variable or combination of variables.
 #1624911  by chrisf

Also, EL bought the U34CHs which served successfully for almost 40 years. 6-axle commuter power can definitely work even if it's not necessary in a lot of cases. In this instance, it was surely much less expensive to convert SD70s to passenger service than to buy purpose-built power.
 #1624920  by eolesen

I don't know that six vs four powered axles is problematic, but you can't discount the lowered complexity.

B1-1B has a third less equipment to cause a bad order... sort of how the 777 and A330/A350 won out over the MD11, 747, A340/A380.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1624927  by Gilbert B Norman

eolesen wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:01 am B1-1B has a third less equipment to cause a bad order... sort of how the 777 and A330/A350 won out over the MD11, 747, A340/A380.
Mr. Olesen, don't mean to turn this topic into one at www.airliners.net, but your omission of the 787 "Nightmareliner" from your immediate, is noted.
 #1626854  by Sir MTU KGB rtd

Good morning all, any update on when the SD70s are going to make an appearance on passenger trains please?

Have seen 507 and 509 at the Rock Island depot which are interestingly short nose to short nose and 3 at the BNSF depot.

Many thanks in advance.
 #1627046  by Sir MTU KGB rtd

To add to this currently 214+502 are coupled to stock. Anyone know if there's going to be a test run today?
 #1627081  by Sir MTU KGB rtd

To answer my own question. 214+502 has done 1227 and 1260 successfully. Currently on 1233 stopper to Aurora.