Railroad Forums 

• What will become of abandoned line in Queens, NYC?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1611030  by 50-year railfan

I read the article in the paper, but there wasn't enough information for me to come down on either side of the argument. If the corridor is only as wide as two tracks, and both would be needed for commuter service, then I probably come down on the side of rail restoration. However, I do wonder why ridership declined to the point that line was essentially abandoned. What is different now? Are there better connections to Manhattan now? Has the population of the areas increased in the past 50 years?

If there is enough room for both a linear park and the railroad, then it seems the park/trail supporters are being selfish. I live in the Adirondacks, so maybe others on this forum who are more familiar with the terrain can supply some answers.
 #1611529  by ExCon90

I can't access the link, and have been waiting for subsequent posts to learn what line is involved, but there haven't been any. If it's the former LIRR route to the Rockaways there was an extended discussion in the LIRR forum. It would make an ideal route for dedicated trains from NYP (subject to the well-known capacity constraints at NYP) to JFK (with perhaps a stop at Woodside), since among other things it has a grade-separated connection with the main line (is that White Pot Junction?) between Woodside and Forest Hills, but there was ferocious opposition from the NIMBYs. If it's some other line I'd be interested to know which one it is.

I'm also wondering which the NIMBYs would object to more: the linear park, or new rail service. Or would their objections double if the two could be combined?
 #1611563  by 50-year railfan

If Excon is correct that this would facilitate an rail connection between Manhattan and JFK then it is a 'no-brainer'. Create this rail link as soon as possible. I and my wife frequently visit our daughter who lives in Norway. The link between downtown Oslo and the airport is beautiful, and makes the whole journey so much easier.
 #1611571  by ExCon90

So that was the line referred to in the article.

Access to the respective airports of New York -- and Washington* -- is a national disgrace compared to what has been done at other world capitals. Granted there are huge obstacles at both places, but there are obstacles in lots of places that are somehow overcome if the money and the will are present, and one doesn't immediately think of either New York or Washington as poor.

* WMATA's Silver Line is an improvement, but too slow compared to other cities.
 #1614132  by krispy

Just saw this - look in the LIRR forum regarding posts about the Rockaway Beach Branch. A good look at dysfunction on either side. For the history, I recommend a book called "Change at Ozone Park" by Herbert George. Several spots the locals who live nearby and/or encroached upon it guard it jealously and have some pull to have politicians come out of the woodwork to pull the rug from under the politicians who support the Greenway or reactivation of the line.

It is a lovely walk, but I promise the folks from Forest View Apts and the converted condos by Park Ln will do everything they can to stifle either one. Quite a few fan trips left great photo shoots on the net, some poking around will yield them.