Railroad Forums 

• Audio Announcments

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1580052  by theMainer

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know where the Subway Next Stop Announcments may be stored online?

I'm looking to back them up and potentially release them on YT for Preservation
 #1580065  by diburning

There was an audio sample page on the MBTA website maybe about a decade ago, but it's been gone for at least 5 years. As far as re-releasing them, the MBTA owns the rights to the announcements as they were recorded from an actual person (and the text to speech robovoice that comes after is also copyrighted), so you definitely don't want to do that.
 #1580127  by NRGeep

The woman's voice used at Charles Street announcing Mass Eye and Ear in tandem with male Worf (from Star Trek) like voice.
 #1580193  by theMainer

I tried that last November and recieved 0 response on it.
Last edited by CRail on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1593846  by theMainer

I noticed some changes today in relation to tomorrow's GLX opening while traveling inbound on a D train to North Station.

Firstly, all announcements at stations are prefaced with a 1 second clip of what appeared to be a TTS bot saying "This is"

For example:
Before - "[[Ogelsby]] Haymarket. Change here for the Orange Line."
Now - "[TTS]] This is: [[Ogelsby]] Haymarket..."

Additionally, the on the displays the Silver Line routes are now referred to by their current designation instead of the blanket "Silver Line" branding. Such as at Boylston, before it read "Silver Line" and now it reads "SL5".

Amtrak is now also referenced on displays at North Station.

Hopefully when GLX opens we will have full Oglesby announcements and not a mix of him and TTS.
 #1594477  by HenryAlan

theMainer wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:29 pm Hopefully when GLX opens we will have full Oglesby announcements and not a mix of him and TTS.
When I rode to Union Square last Monday, it was Frank's voice saying, "the destination for this train is..." followed by a woman's voice (computer perhaps) saying "Union Square."
 #1594491  by mbrproductions

I find the new female TTS voice annoying, I really hope Frank got to voice "Union Square" and the stations on the Medford Branch so they can be announced on the trains when GLX is fully complete
 #1594494  by theMainer

mbrproductions wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:48 pm I find the new female TTS voice annoying, I really hope Frank got to voice "Union Square" and the stations on the Medford Branch so they can be announced on the trains when GLX is fully complete
There are frank voiced announcements in the stations, such as "Union Square trains every 5 to 12 minutes" so heres to hope?
 #1603630  by michaelg3072

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:21 pm https://archive.org/details/mbta-voice-frank-oglesby
Is it this?
I just uploaded it to the Internet Archive. The MBTA uploaded a small sample to their site when they first came out. There was also a woman's voice that was a second option that I don't believe was ever used.
https://web.archive.org/web/20121126091 ... t_library/
What do you mean by "female voice"? Are you talking about the Commuter Rail announcements? If not, could you explain a little more?
 #1604205  by charlesriverbranch

Yesterday afternoon I got on a Red Line train at JFK/UMass headed for South Station. The automated voice was cycling through every station on the line: "Alewife... Davis Square... Porter Square... Harvard Square..." It got all the way to Ashmont, then jumped to North Quincy, got all the way to Braintree, and started back at Alewife again. The operator came on and said essentially "ignore these announcements, the next stop is Andrew." It was quite humorous. Somewhere after Andrew, it said "the destination of this train is... Alewife" and everything went back to normal.