Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1600757  by Jeff Smith

SLE has not yet resumed service to Stamford yet; would be a good use of the new Track 7 platform. Any idea when they may resume? Also, are there any plans to start through trains from Hartford? Would seem like a good use, and could make stops only at Bridgeport, SoNo, and Stamford. MNRR could actually use them as through trains running express to GCT.
 #1602847  by cle

Though trains from Hartford to SLE? I would think not - now SLE is using EMUs and Hartford is still on diesel traction. If it was also wired, very possibly we could be looking at a New Haven S-Bahn! With reversals of course.

Hartford to GCT? I think that was mentioned in a recent CTDOT study alongside line speed increases on the NHL - and yes, likely crack expresses. TBH they are better off increasing Amtrak regional services.
 #1602849  by shadyjay

You may be confused by the title of the thread, which I was as well. I don't think we're talking SLE-Hartford Line through service, but rather, SLE thru trains to points on the New Haven Line and Hartford Line thru trains to points on the New Haven Line. Stamford is a big employment draw in the SW CT region and may in fact attract some from points on the Hartford Line. Maybe try some rush hour expresses, like SLE to Stamford used to do, for Hartford to Stamford, or something like that. It may also labor issues that prevent it from happening. Obviously there would have to be a crew change at NHV. Not sure the status of the leased MBTA cars as far as whether they are permitted west of NHV.

Now, if Metro North somehow was able to operate the three systems (NHL, SLE, Hartford Line), then it probably would've been done by now. They would have to bid on/get the contract to run the service, if they even wanted to.

Then there's the issue of track space as well. You'd probably want those thru trains to stop at Bridgeport, and that's tougher right now given its only got side platforms. Are we at the limit as far as what can be sent over the draws west of NHV? The NHL I believe is close to/if not back to pre-COVID service levels, so could more trains be squeezed in?

Then there's the question of more Amtrak regionals. Well, that's all well and good heading south, but if you've got a regional heading to the Hartford Line from, say, Virginia, then there's more of a chance of it being late. Same goes for the existing 400-series shuttles that connect from NEC mainline trains. You'd be better off having CTRail take over the shuttle spots, keep the Vermonter and a couple regionals for thru service from SPG to NYP & south, and give the rest over to CTRail. Or, have the Hartford Line regionals go no further south than NYP. But Amtrak's theory for trains from the north is to pretty much run them through at least to WAS.
 #1603159  by west point

shadyjay wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:45 pm . Are we at the limit as far as what can be sent over the draws west of NHV? The NHL I believe is close to/if not back to pre-COVID service levels, so could more trains be squeezed in?
That is definite problem. Usually the replacements will only close 1 outside track. I understand the north track at Walk is already slosed? That way the 2 inner tracks can be used in the heavy traffic direction with some delays for opposite trains getting behind a local on the outside track that is in service. However MNRR says that at several times 2 tracks will need closing to switch over to a new draw span. Heard MNRR hopes it will only take 45 days for each 2 track closures?

EDIT: MNRR will need that 45 days twice for each draw span location.
 #1603184  by CTG

I think the issue is simpler. With SLE now getting specific trainsets that have had their 3rd rail shoes removed, there simply isn't enough equipment to send those trains all the way down to Stamford. Once you take them out of SLE territory, you've reduced the number of sets available for actual SLE service.
 #1603185  by west point

The only solution is for Amtrak rebuild the locations that foul the 3rd rail shoes.

EDIT: Maybe if no aditional 3rd rail problems east of new London service could continue east to either Wickford or Providence to connect with MBTA. That would give a possible commuter rail only connection from NYG to BOS if schedules were compatible..
 #1603270  by Traingeek3629

A connection...for who? I don't think many people are interested in a two transfer, six hour long commuter train ride when Amtrak already exists and would only be slightly more expensive after you combine the cost of three commuter rail trains.
 #1603373  by daybeers

Commuter rail connecting New London with the current MBTA terminus at Wickford Junction might be nice, but I think what people really need is affordable prices on Amtrak and getting the boaters and Coast Guard to back down and allow for more slots. NEC north frequency is a joke compared to NEC south. Trains frequently sell out and/or get expensive fast.
 #1603474  by BandA

shadyjay wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:45 pm....Obviously there would have to be a crew change at NHV.
Why? Hartford Line and New Haven Line are both owned by Amtrak. As long as they stay east of the NY state line CTDot can pay two vendors running on the New Haven Line just like on the Hartford Line.

Overlapping service should be a goal for a robust transportation system with "network effect". Once this is achieved hopefully demand explodes and state subsidies can be reduced so that the Amtrak & state-sponsored ticket prices approach break-even.
 #1603481  by daybeers

BandA wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:16 pm
shadyjay wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:45 pm....Obviously there would have to be a crew change at NHV.
Why? Hartford Line and New Haven Line are both owned by Amtrak. As long as they stay east of the NY state line CTDot can pay two vendors running on the New Haven Line just like on the Hartford Line.
ConnDOT owns from Mill River interlocking just east of Cedar Hill yard and State Street station to the NY state line. The Hartford Line's crews are run by TASI and Alternate Concepts, Inc and they aren't qualified on anything east or west of New Haven. I'm not sure what you're asking. I'm not sure the labor agreements would allow other crews to operate on the New Haven Line other than the Amtrak Regionals and Acelas that operate now.