• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CharlieL

I talked to the foreman at that job site a couple of weeks ago. They are extending a sewer line up to the construction site at yellowbrook rd, hooking into the existing, which is alongside the track. He did say they were aware the track would be reactivated and that may have played into the decision to do the sewer work now. Pretty sure I mentioned this on this thread before.
  by Bracdude181

An update on how things are currently going.

Chesapeake and Delaware 1888 and it’s caboose are parked in Jamesburg. C&Ds emergency phone number and railroad name have been placed on the crossing signs of the Freehold Industrial. They’ve probably got the Southern done too, I just haven’t had time to check.

At some point over the next few days. (Probably after July 4th) Conrail will ferry Chesapeake and Delaware 2005 (☣️) at least as far as Red Bank.

The operations schedule and where they intend to operate out of remains unknown. Look for offices on wheels in Red Bank, Farmingdale, Lakewood, Freehold, and Jamesburg as these are the most likely locations for where they’d start off from.

Look for possible light engine moves on both lines over the next week.

Credit to CR7876 and planespotting for providing their share of info. Some of this is carried over from the Browns Yard topic.
  by Bracdude181

A friend just told me C&D has indeed put up their emergency info on the Southern Secondary crossings.
  by planespotting

Here's a picture of the caboose and engine on the Jamesburg wye. They are easily viewable from the Gatzmer Ave. crossing. My guess is that they'll put trailer smack in the middle of both legs of wye and use that as office/base.

https://imgur.com/a/ztdlVCA
  by Bracdude181

Nice picture. Most likely the caboose is there for use as a shoving platform car for return runs to Freehold from Prestone.
  by JohnFromJersey

It will certainly be nice to see a caboose being used on a railroad again. In addition, did 1888 do any trial runs on the FIT, or are they just parking it on the wye for now?
  by pdtrains

A GP-9 and caboose working the FIT. Great news from a railfan POV. Also the operation will prob be better for customers too..

And I'll take a GP38 over a GP-40 too.

Hope the new operation goes smoothly
  by CR7876

pdtrains wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:12 am A GP-9 and caboose working the FIT. Great news from a railfan POV. Also the operation will prob be better for customers too..

And I'll take a GP38 over a GP-40 too.

Hope the new operation goes smoothly
Former CSX GP38 to boot.
  by Bracdude181

2005 seems to have a lot of former owners. I think it was even owned by Union Pacific at one point.
  by AceMacSD

This change of operations will hopefully be a good thing for the traffic on the Browns lines. Not good for the loss of union jobs to operate it, until we unionize. We should not have to do any light engine moves for qualifications. Some of us are dual employed by Conrail SA or have been employed by Conrail and have our qualifications. Let us all stay positive that this will be good for all parties.
Happy 4th of July!
  by Bracdude181

Starting tomorrow, be on the look out for activity on the Southern Secondary and Freehold Industrial. They might be doing their qualification runs.

2005 also may get ferried to Red Bank.
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:2005 seems to have a lot of former owners. I think it was even owned by Union Pacific at one point.
DRRV 2005- CEFX 404-UP 404- CNW 4705-CSXT 2105-BO 4805