Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak in Miami (Hialeah, Miami Intermodal Center/Airport)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1593567  by STrRedWolf

frequentflyer wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29 am A switcher may come down from Hialeah and bring the consist back over the four miles.
The question I have now is... what really entails servicing the train? Does the cleaning staff need to be at a base?
 #1593673  by WhartonAndNorthern

frequentflyer wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29 am A switcher may come down from Hialeah and bring the consist back over the four miles.
With all the union rules that probably means calling out an entirely new crew off of the extra board and giving them a full day's pay just for the move. Unless there's a duty switch crew already assigned to the Hialeah shops and they can handle the extra work. Though come to think of it, there would be 4 moves per day. Let's see: ... using 2020 timetables and Miami times
  • Tow in the empty 92 at 08:10
  • Tow in the empty 98 at 11:50
  • Tow home 91 at 17:58
  • Tow home 97 at 18:39
Well I guess you can do that in a single 12 hour shift but if one of the southbounds is late, things could get ugly and a second crew would be needed. Also the switcher would need to idle on a station track while waiting and then if 91 is late you might have both Silvers in the station waiting for the switcher.

Since Amtrak already runs the Silvers with two engines, top-and-tail might make sense except I think only A1s are wired for MU but not the A2s, V1s, and V2s.
Last edited by WhartonAndNorthern on Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1593694  by Gilbert B Norman

The only concern Amtrak has regarding Miami is operational efficiency; they are not concerned with passenger convenience, which is questionable if there would be much, if any, moving the station to the Intermodal Facility.

They have the "operational hot setup" right now; why change it absent some party "putting a gun to their head".

That the FDOT requested they run a test train, which they did, hardly represents that "gun..".
 #1593706  by Alex M

It would be interesting to see if Amtrak plans to run corridor style services between Miami and Tampa and possibly other places. If that develops, those trains will use the new Miami station at the airport and let the long-distance trains continue with the current facility .
 #1593708  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:57 pm The only concern Amtrak has regarding Miami is operational efficiency; they are not concerned with passenger convenience, which is questionable if there would be much, if any, moving the station to the Intermodal Facility.
Mr. Norman, I would like to tell you about my last experience in Miami. My wife and I were taking a cruise out of Miami. There are several hotels that provide a free shuttle to the cruiseport the following morning if you stay at the hotel overnight. Since Amtrak arrives long after the ships sail, it is necessary to get a room for the night. Where are these hotels located? At the airport of course. So you have to find transportation from the Amtrak Hialeah station to the area right near the airport station and that transportation may not be easily available due to its remote location. Forget it if you need to rent a car.

After the cruise we rented a car in downtown Miami and did a little touristy stuff.

Returning involved me driving to the Amtrak station in Hialeah to drop off my wife and our luggage. Then I had to drive back to the Miami Airport station to drop off the rental car. Then I had to take a Tri Rail commuter train to their Transfer Station in Hialeah which is near the Amtrak station but not physically connected. From there it is about a 10 minute walk through a slightly sketchy industrial area not knowing how safe it was or even if I could pass through.

So I feel the whole experience was slightly uncomfortable and rather inconvenient at the very least.
 #1593712  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Train Guy, I hear you and I agree with you for your "set". I've noted it much earlier in the discussion that those passengers desiring to rent an auto would have more convenience with the station at the Intermodal facility, but I believe such represents a small number of the Miami passenger "base".

If there were sufficient number of passengers with your requirements, Amtrak ought to arrange with a transfer operator, such as Shuttle America, to have #91, Silver Star, met. But I just do not think all too many.

Finally, back when I took cruises (during the '80's), flying in from Chicago and East was normally same day. Now with additional time needed for baggage and TSA formalities, the "overnight" appears to be more the "order of the day".
 #1593736  by STrRedWolf

rohr turbo wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:37 pm Uber/Lyft would have taken you door to door for around $15 (Miami Amtrak to anywhere near airport.) That includes extra passengers and all your baggage.
That before or after the fuel surcharge? :)

But I think the point of moving the station to the Intermodal station is that you can transfer from long-range travel (air/train) to local travel (bus/rental car/subway). Getting to the cruise terminal would be a bus, but then when transferring from one big mode to another, I'd give it an overnight.
 #1593739  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, when I have gone to Miami to hear the Cleveland Orchestra perform as part of their Florida residency (they've CX for the past two years), I have always stayed at a Marriott "catty corner" to the Arsht performance venue. At the hotel's bar, I have met people about to embark on a cruise. All told, I think the cruise lines "spread 'em out".

My last cruise was '88; and have no reason to go on another. But please, even if just "Love Tubs" to me (a GF who deceased during '86 "just loved 'em"), don't let me "knock" this venue from which many find pleasure.
 #1600709  by Jeff Smith

A couple observations:

-The 25th St crossing isn't related to the airport stop. That's related to Miami Central as I recall.

-Wouldn't Amtrak running into the airport station on Tri-Rail tracks and the resultant back-up move hinder Tri-Rail's operations? Couldn't they just continue on to the Tri-Rail Terminal? It's still a long back-up move.
 #1600789  by Erie-Lackawanna

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:47 pm -The 25th St crossing isn't related to the airport stop. That's related to Miami Central as I recall.
Miami Central is about 5 miles east of there and on a different railroad. The NW 25th Street crossing is located at the north end of the platforms at the Miami Intermodal Center (Miami Airport) Station.
Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:47 pm-Wouldn't Amtrak running into the airport station on Tri-Rail tracks and the resultant back-up move hinder Tri-Rail's operations? Couldn't they just continue on to the Tri-Rail Terminal? It's still a long back-up move.
The Miami Intermodal Center Station is the Tri-Rail terminal, and the would-be Amtrak station. It’s one and the same.

Would the backup move hinder Tri-Rail? Probably not. The backup move to Hialeah Yard would be made in the evening, and could easily be done when no Tri-Rail trains are around. The move from Hialeah Yard would be done in the morning, likely after the start of hourly service on Tri-Rail. They should be able to get it done between Tri-Rail trains.

Jim