Railroad Forums 

• Does anyone have any information on this caboose in Framingham, mass

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1571078  by Pat Fahey

Hi
I am trying to find any information on this caboose which is across from the Framingham, station. I found the newspaper article for the purpose of the caboose, but I would like to know, the origin of the caboose.
Is the caboose ex New Haven RR, or B&M? If so what was the caboose original number, and class.
Is this caboose Ex New Haven ?????
Is this caboose Ex New Haven ?????
NE-6 Framingham , Mass Photo by Pat Fahey.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
 #1586296  by Adams_Umass_Boston

From the Framingham town website

"In the Summer of 2016, MWRTA established Framingham Intermodal, when leadership signed an agreement with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) to assume maintenance and monitoring of the commuter rail parking area known as the Banana Lot. With a 1930s caboose transformed into an on-site office, MWRTA staff oversees daily activities and maintains a constant presence at the station in collaboration with FDR and the Framingham Police Department. Framingham Intermodal supports access and connectivity for pedestrians, cyclists, bus riders, rail commuters and motorists."

Google street view shows the caboose appearing sometime around October of 2016. You might contact the MWRTA. They might know more.
 #1586342  by jbvb

An ex-B&M or New Haven NE-5 would have vertical ribs on its sides and no window under the cupola (if original). A New Haven NE-6 would have windows set closer to the cupola. I can't see the trucks, but they probably aren't original by now.
 #1600728  by Agent at Clicquot

Noted the date as they’re file images now.

Use: field office for the local bus route. An the NE-5 is a fairly bulletproof compared to a typical job site trailer. Sits on an ex-NH yard lead, too.

Anyone know the car’s number? I looked all over … the repaint is *total*.

/JB