Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1595319  by flexliner

Somewhere back in the grey cells I seem to have a recollection that (?some of) the R62 as delivered could have a corner cab convert to full cab.

Was this the case? If so does anyone have pictures of how this worked?

Or are my grey cells totally fried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1595334  by Allan

flexliner wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:03 am Somewhere back in the grey cells I seem to have a recollection that (?some of) the R62 as delivered could have a corner cab convert to full cab.

Did it work????

You better believe it. In all consists the car (5 car sets) has a full width cab.

On the case of the 42nd St Shuttle the end cars of the 6 car sets have full width cabs.

What happens is the 2 of the 4 end passenger seats on the left are removed, the left panel over the single window is unlocked and swings out and attached to a support post which is separately installed (this post also has a place for the cab door lock to be used.

Initially a window panel was placed in the opening of the swing out panel. That was eventually covered by a metal sheet essentially making a solid wall.

That swing out panel covered a set of door controls so the C/R doesn't have to change cabs when the platform is on the opposite side.

I found this photo on the internet (it was on a reddit thread).
Attachments:
R.jpeg
R.jpeg (80.1 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Last edited by Allan on Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1595337  by GirlOnTheTrain

There are no more corner cab configurations in normal revenue service system-wide now that the R32s are retired. The 7 was one of the last bastions of corner cabs in the 62/62A world. There are some 62A singles on the 6 - the operating cabs are still full-width though.
 #1595339  by Allan

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:56 pm There are no more corner cab configurations in normal revenue service system-wide now that the R32s are retired. The 7 was one of the last bastions of corner cabs in the 62/62A world. There are some 62A singles on the 6 - the operating cabs are still full-width though.
As I remember, when the R62/62As were on the 7, the Times Square bound end car was full width. The Main St bound end car was kept as it was originally. The RFW on the end still provided a great view .

On the 6 (which I ride quite frequently) all the cabs on the end cars are full width. As are the ones on the 1 and 3 sets.
 #1595341  by flexliner

Allan wrote:
flexliner wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:03 am Somewhere back in the grey cells I seem to have a recollection that (?some of) the R62 as delivered could have a corner cab convert to full cab.

Did it work????

You better believe it. In all consists the car (5 car sets) has a full width cab.

On the case of the 42nd St Shuttle the end cars of the 6 car sets have full width cabs.

What happens is the 2 of the 4 end passenger seats on the left are removed, the left panel over the single window is unlocked and swings out and attached to a support post which is separately installed (this post also has a place for the cab door lock to be used.

Initially a window panel was placed in the opening of the swing out panel. That was eventually covered by a metal sheet essentially making a solid wall.

That swing out panel covered a set of door controls so the C/R doesn't have to change cabs when the platform is on the opposite side.

I found this photo on the internet (it was on a reddit thread).
I see. So this was not a process that could be accomplished “on the fly” but rather in a shop.
And I presume once done it was likely not reversed. Or not easily.

#1595368  by GirlOnTheTrain

There's plenty of unmodified singles floating around buried in the middle of consists that they wouldn't need to do that.

There is nothing earthshattering about the cab of either a 62 or 62a that needs to be "preserved". They're not going to put a single side MDC back in just for funsies.
 #1595403  by Allan

I agree.

In each 5 car set there are 3 cars that are unmodified as only the end cars are used as the operating cars. In a 10 car consists (2 sets of 5 cars) the middle 2 operating cars are used by the conductor.

On a periodic basis the 5 car sets are rotated to connect with other sets to make a full 10 car consist.

A 5 car set (of consecutive car numbers) can be considered as permanent though somewhere in the fleet there may a few 'anomolies' or mismatches in a set.

In the case of the 42nd St Shuttle most of the numbers in the 6 car consist are not consecutive.
 #1595404  by flexliner

So question.
The shuttle has 6 car sets with the en cars having a full cab.
As versus “regular “ 5 car sets where the end cars have full cabs.
When they rotate a shuttle set to the yard for service does it come bac to 42 st? Or get sent to another line and in that case how do they handle the six vs five car setup ?

#1595405  by Allan

flexliner wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:09 am So question.
The shuttle has 6 car sets with the en cars having a full cab.
As versus “regular “ 5 car sets where the end cars have full cabs.
When they rotate a shuttle set to the yard for service does it come bac to 42 st? Or get sent to another line and in that case how do they handle the six vs five car setup ?

A good question.

All 12 cars on the shuttle are modified. With the exception of the seats at each end of the car, it is standing only. There are plenty of places to hold on (the trip only takes about 90 seconds). See photo below ( found it on Wikipedia).

So when a service rotation takes place, the cars are not returned to main line service since all the seats would have to be put back. I would guess (since I don't know for sure) that there is at least one additional set of 6 modified cars that is used to replace a train out for service.
Attachments:
42 St Shuttle car interior
42 St Shuttle car interior
R62A_Times_Square_Shuttle_002.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 742 times