Railroad Forums 

• Modern Cabeese

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1594765  by rrr

Hey I’m looking for locations of class one railroad caboose sightings... I wish to “track” one down this summer and photograph the relic in use... It’s for a story on the modern caboose.
Anyway I REALLY need help!
Any In-use, class one rail caboose will do... The rustier, the better.

Now, I know cabeese are often gutted of furnishings and used for other purposes (thus technically deeming them something other then a caboose). But let’s forget all the technicalities... I wanna find one of these things!

I also know that BNSF keep a small “fleet” of em that make appearances from time to time—typically in the big yards of Texas... but they have been seen elsewhere.

Please help!
Let’s find one!
 #1594775  by eolesen

I think any place you'll find them today would be a local job where they need protection on the mainline from both directions or a seriously long backup move.

They make a regular appearance on the UP between Janesville, WI and Beloit, WI because it's an 11 mile shove. Don't know how often that job runs, but it's a CNW caboose.
 #1595015  by mandealco

I'm not sure of the circumstances, but someone posted a BNSF train in Joliet on Rail Pictures just a few days ago. There was a former Santa Fe wide vision caboose on the rear, at least I thought it was the rear. The photo was by Nick Hart.
Cheers
Steve