Railroad Forums 

• Trolley VS Market Frankford Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1592008  by Silverliner5

Couple days ago I saw a Kawasaki LRV beating the market frankford line to 30th street in the tunnel but I wonder if anyone have ever seen race like this before cause this is very fascinating to see down here but i do recall that boston used to have similar before they tore it down. But anyways have anyone seen or have a railfan video of a trolley or EL racing in the tunnel before?
 #1592057  by Silverliner5

PHLSpecial wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:09 am Isn't the K-car lighter than the m4 car? I'm sure the kcar will win on acceleration but not sure on top speed
It's lighter than the M4 and plus LRV 9104 is the fastest out of the fleet since I remember some drivers always taking this one cause of it's tremendous speed while others sometimes use 9000
 #1592058  by Silverliner5

PHLSpecial wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:09 am Isn't the K-car lighter than the m4 car? I'm sure the kcar will win on acceleration but not sure on top speed
Not even the PCC cars at the time wow but what about when the Kawasakis arrived in 1980?
 #1592095  by mcgrath618

Track speed in the tunnels under the Schuylkill is 50 for the MFL and 40 for trolleys IIRC. Trolleys are faster accelerating but the MFL has higher limits.
Neither can compare to the 70 mph that the BSL hits regularly.
 #1592100  by Silverliner5

mcgrath618 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:49 pm Track speed in the tunnels under the Schuylkill is 50 for the MFL and 40 for trolleys IIRC. Trolleys are faster accelerating but the MFL has higher limits.
Neither can compare to the 70 mph that the BSL hits regularly.
Broad Street Line still do 70 MPH in the tunnel but imagine if it raced against Patco
 #1593287  by Silverliner5

this week I found another in the tunnel and it was K-car vs M4 but the female was close ti beating it to 15th street eastbound, she managed to get close to 1st car but had to slow down into the station