Railroad Forums 

• Greta is not alone.

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1583609  by David Benton

just for you , Mr Norman.
"Europeans urged to ditch short flights, take trains instead"
"A study commissioned by the environmental group Greenpeace shows that over one-third of the busiest short-haul flights in Europe have viable train alternatives which are far less polluting.

The group called on European governments Wednesday to boost train travel so fewer polluting planes are flying over the continent. The study by OBC Transeuropa showed that 34 per cent of the 150 busiest short-haul flights have train trip alternatives of less than six hours."
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/green-tr ... ns-instead
 #1583611  by Pensyfan19

And I stand by her, especially since I'm a train enthusiast and within the same age range as her.
 #1583686  by NaugyRR

I think the point is less interest/age-related, and more "hey, the weather and air pollution is getting pretty bad, maybe we should start taking better care of our planet so we don't have to terraform Mars as urgently"
 #1583699  by scratchyX1

Pensyfan19 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:43 pm And I stand by her, especially since I'm a train enthusiast and within the same age range as her.
I'm old enough to be her parent, and I agree with her.
 #1584075  by Arborwayfan

Ditto. Short flights between big cities are easy places to save energy, pollution, and carbon by using other modes.
 #1584093  by photobug56

scratchyX1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:44 am
Pensyfan19 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:43 pm And I stand by her, especially since I'm a train enthusiast and within the same age range as her.
I'm old enough to be her parent, and I agree with her.
But even when she's right, she's amazingly nasty about it. I'd rather ride a train than fly commercial - but I sure hope she's not on that train.
 #1584177  by ExCon90

She's a teenager ... I knew everything when I was a teenager, and it was a lot easier to criticize then.
 #1584183  by ConstanceR46

in any case - even the most soot-belching 1940s RS-1 - a train will beat roads or air carbon-wise.

this is part of the reason the rather closed-mindedness of certain groups of railfans infuriates me - you're literally alienating people who want more trains