Railroad Forums 

• Revisiting NRL route to Newark Airport and Elizabeth

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1582003  by orangeline

It was recently announced that the NY governor has put a halt to extending the NYC subway to LaGuardia Airport.
This would have been LGA's version of Airtrain.

Port Authority of NYNJ is apparently serious about finally extending PATH service to Newark Airport (EWR). Given the politics of the PA, I can't see the NY delegation approving that extension without something for them.

I now want to pose a hypothetical scenario. Some years ago NJT proposed extending the Newark Light Rail to an EWR station and continuing to downtown Elizabeth. The routing was circuitous in Elizabeth and the project was shelved. Given the current state of affairs, how likely is it that a modified routing between Broad St Newark NJT and downtown Elizabeth NJT stations, with a stop at the EWR rail station, could be resurrected?
 #1582060  by MaRoFu

As much as I’d like to see it happen it probably won’t. I really do want to see the former CNJRR ROW get used for something though, perhaps a light rail or something linking Cranford and Jersey Gardens via Elizabeth. If they wanted to build a rapid transit line to Elizabeth then another PATH extension would be more likely.
 #1582602  by amtrakowitz

The routing was circuitous in Elizabeth and the project was shelved.
But that is not the reason why.

The light rail extension from Penn Station to Broad Street (ex-DL&W) was indeed designated "MOS-1" or the first minimal operating segment of what was then known as the Newark-Elizabeth Rail Link. After that, some other money wasters got in the way (e.g. those excessive rolling stock purchases, T.H.E. Tunnel et al, not necessarily in that order) that drowned any actual rail expansion and a few other financial, political and natural disasters got in the way, with the project's funding swallowed up in the mayhem. (Probably the PA did not want alien rails on their property too.)

Right now, everything west of Elizabeth Broad Street station is getting overgrown or illegally encroached on, e.g. parking on Elmora station ROW for the adjacent pharmaceutical manufacturer as example of the latter. Would be tricky to build to Jersey Gardens, particularly with NS still using the yards and their E-Rail facility. Pity a ROW thst once hosted the Royal Blue, National Limited, Crusader and the like is being wasted.