Railroad Forums 

• Gardner Gawking

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1576196  by jaymac

0240-0435/07-19-2021 showed the value of sometimes being early. At 0241, D-3 called out to Q427, rogered what they said, and thanked them. It was probably for 427 calling into DCS, as will be seen.
There would be only rare -- and possibly spurious -- Yard Channel garble, and the 333 WLs would be dark at 0311, the usual observations to follow.
When I was almost all the way WB up Da Hill, D-3 answered a garbling FI-3, rogered what they said, and OKd them on signal indication. Wherever FI-3 was, it wasn't Gardner, the 345s being dark and the yard MT.
The EB leg of the trip had some Yard Channel hash, "22K" being the sole clarity. That was followed at 0334 by D-3 acknowledging that TC 600 was giving up his foul time on 1 between FG and Derby, and at 0340, the 333 WLs maintained darkness.
Further east the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and a Stop for 2 and the 330 WLs Stops. There were loccupied wells visible on the #2 by Zeda's, Dark NSs 6971 and 1202 sitting across from the platform, The 330 1 WL showed a Clear, and the GL and FG WLs showed Stops. At 0345, D-3 cancelled TC 600's Form D G326, an indication of how busy 07-18 musta been.
After some Yard Channel garbles and at 0357, KCIR 5972 sat dark, solo, and facing west in the FI-1/2 parking spot, and at 0404, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and a company hopper still sat on the RVJ stub. A few later and in Mount Wachusett electromagnetic shadow zone, D-3 garbled something to mebbe AYPO about 22K, followed up with a ? about coming off East Wye, and followed with more hash.
What happened at 0422? The MP X7.8/Temple Street/Rte. 140 gates came down in front of me, noise got made, the X7.8 talker talked, and all-Bolt trio CSXTs 3323, 464, and 987 ever-so crossed the crossing.0425 was when the gates came up to the NoDefectsTransmissionOver solo, showing the amount of time it takes for 3 units and 26 cars to cross that crossing. A short train woulda been more so if it weren't for the ~1/2 MT LPGs -- Portsmouths? -- that sat among the few boxes and gons. I woulda still been on the road, so never heard noise for the X6.0. Also unheard for attribution had been any and all of the AY locals.
As another poster on another forum discussed, there may have been flooding-related delays, but dunno.
 #1576340  by jaymac

0255-0445/07-21-2021 was light on sounds, but did provide interesting sights. 0317 was when the scanner provided its first reception, a broken from somebody to BO-2, more about which later.
0329 was when the 333 WLs were dark, the usual sequence in effect, but to ongoing radio silence, at least for me.
Most of the way up Da Hill, the silence would get broken by some hash, but of the AMTK type. the 345s were at Stop, and 2 dark EBs had done just that. 22K was on the #1 with KCIR 7620 and NSs 4349, 8177, and 1102. Dunno if the 7620 was part of a ferry move or if there was a shortage of PTC NSs. The #2 had a freight with NS 6965 and obscured trailers. There had been DS trashes on the the Timpany Boulevard UGB. To save suspense and with the usual caveats in effect, naught further would be heard to, from, or about either EB. Mebbe NERAIL will come up with an ID for the 6965's train. The yard had occupants, but was pretty well obscured, racks and tanks -- on the far easterly end --being visible.
The EB trip started off and continued quiet, the 333 WLs dark at 0357. Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2. The 330 WLs and ELs were dark, and the GL WLs were ar Stop. At 0411, KCIR 5972 was dark, solo, and west-facing in the FI-1/2 parking spot, All traffic lights being cooperative ,the arrival at RVJ was at 0416, but their yard was active, so there was no eyeballing of the EB staggers for Derby, although it seemed like there was still an open hopper on the stub.
0418 was when there was a partial from D-3 to AY-3 about their runaround, a "roger," and a "straight down to West Main Street."
The next and last reception would be at 0438 from Boston West -- same voice as at 0317 -- asking BO-2 about what would be happening and rogering their response.
Dunno aught about any of the other usual presences, not even X7.8 crossing noise as of 0528 being heard.
 #1576528  by jaymac

0245-0440/07-23-2021 had 2 locals as radio stars, starting at 0247 when D-3 called out 2x to AY-3, naught immediately further getting to me. Things went quiet until 0305 with the start of a number of hashed and unattributable Yard Channel receptions, possibly car countdowns, given the spacings.
At 0318, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual sightings to follow, with sides of the aforementioned hash, the 1 spell of clarity coming at 0326 when somebody let the world know he was in the clear and that it was OK to release.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, and radioactivity would briefly come from PD Gardner. The yard was occupied, the Extension and 1, 2, and 4 all having a mix of general. If there were any racks, they were obscured, ditto for centerbeams, those reliable indicators of load status. 0338 started another D-3-side of a convo with AY-3, he inquiring about their status so he could make plans. There was more, but the tracks and structure of the Pearson Boulevard UGB make an effective Faraday Cage, so dunno what else got said.
Things then went quiet for the EB trip, and the 333 WLs were dark at 0347. At 0351, a generally clear FI-2/D-3 convo started. They wanted to go E to W, and he OKd them on signal indication, confirming that they'd be coming right back.
Now came a refueling stop, followed by seeing Clears for the 330.8 WBS, darkness for the 330 WLs and ELs, Stops for the GL WLs, and darkness on the FG WLs. The Deity Of Randomness suggested I take a right at the credit union then a left to the Simonds Saw facility -- space still available for lease -- just in time -- 0407 -- to see KCIR 5972 haul WB on the #2 with covered hoppers.
At 0408, FI-2 told themselves there were 14 to go, the FI-1/2 parking spot was predictably MT, and racks sat on East Side.
At 0410, FI-2 called out to D-3. Dunno about them, but all I heard was hash. FI-2 tried again, advising D-3 they were looking for the signal. 0414 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and a company hopper still sat on the RVJ stub.
At 0421, 0422, and 0423, FI-2 reached out to D-3, but I was getting further from FI-2 and temporarily deeper into Mount Wachusett's electromagnetic shadow, so naught further would get received.
At 0429, D-3 reached out to AY-3, saying -- if they could -- the power should be wyed and put on the west end of the cars. 0437 demonstrated the mutability of plans when D-3 advised AY-3 to forget the wye, tie down at WL, and he'd get them a cab .A minute later, the sole clarity among hash was "POAY," following spurts of hash to suggest car countdowns were happening, naught further of clarity by the 0440 end of listening.
You know which expectable parties haven't been mentioned, and no X7.8 crossing noise had been heard between arrival home and 0530.

Edited for update: X7.8 crossing noise @ 0853 and X6.0 crossing noise @ 0904 along w/ GE exhaust, so probably 427.
 #1576758  by jaymac

0245-0440/07-26-2021 was busy, though frequently garbled, starting at the start with D-3 hashing something to POED -- more about whom later -- about 15 MPH. Occasional Yard Channel garbles would follow, and at 0301, there would be a hashed 241 to FI-2 -- another more about whom later -- followed by a now-clearer D-3 advising Q427 to stand by a moment. The standby would produce the 0303 fulfillment of 426's Form D G313 and Form D G303 -- time effective 0304 -- to Q427 with the CSXT 3286 for MP X25 to Burncoat, followed by a rogered , but unrepeated, request for the lineup and time into DCS. To save suspense, there would be naught further to, from, or about 427 via my radio as of the 0440 end of listening, but there was power noise when I got out of my car, followed by X7.8 crossing noise at 0448 and X6.0 crossing noise at 0459.
At 0314, D-3's side of his convo with AY-3 indicated he'd rather have them tie in the clear than die on the Main, and a minute later, he gave FI-2 with the 5972 permission to reverse direction from where they stood and proceed west on the #2 towards CPF-Derby.
Off the immediate topic, the message boards advising of the 2100-0500 Rte. 2 closure between Exits 100 and 99B were still in place, but the road was open, permitting a view of the structure for the new trail bridges -- through trusses with a gentle bow, a possible nod to past railroad engineering practices. There was no decking, so there probably will be additional closures.
At 0322, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual sights at the usual sites to follow and in -- at least for me -- radio silence. Climbing west, however, I got some 0330 D-3 garble to AY-3, followed in a couple by more garble that gave no clues.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark and the 4 track was pretty much FP-FP with open and covered hoppers, placarded and nonplacarded tanks, coil cars, boxes, and 1 CRYO-TRANS on the far west.
There had been some D-3 garble heard from the back of Chair City Oil -- normally a clear spot -- and at 0346 and just after heading EB, there would be more D-3 garble that concluded with a roger. 0350 would provide a marginally clearer D-3 reception that OKd the 7643 -- later IDable as POED -- to reverse direction and proceed west on the #1 at CPF-Camp.
At 0352, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear. In a ZombieZone, there was a both-sides garbled AYPO/D-3 exchange, naught further to, from, or about AYPO getting to me. The 330 WLs and ELs were dark, and the GL WLs had been at Stop when seen from the Water Street OHB, but the Controlled Siding would go to Medium Approach in another couple.
The FG WLs were dark, and the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT at 0406, the EB staggers for Derby being dark at 0411, and a company hopper still on the RVJ stub.
At 0416, D-3 would roger whatever ??-1 with the 512 had just said, and at 0423, POED with the 7643 would reach out to D-3, the rest of their transmission now garbled, but D-3 would OK them to cut out PTC, probably in reference to the 0245 reception.
0432 would be when D-3 OKd ED-8 to proceed east, but to hold at Ayer station for 400 to pass. Dunno, but mebbe they were at Slab City. Also dunno if what was on the 4 track in Gardner had been left by ED-8. The next 8 minutes were on the quiet side.
22K, AY-4, AE-01/AY-5? Dunno.
 #1576877  by jaymac

0245-0435/07-28-2021 was sparse on the offerings and not just from PAR/S, 1 late reception from the P&W and naught from Boston West, AMTK, and NECR.
Things, however, did start off with possibilities, 0245 providing "4 to go, POAY," the rest of the car countdown devolving as I got further away from the yard, some occasional hash continuing. At 0302 and when I was by PD Sterling, the X7.8 talker advised that he was checking train. Within the expectable period, there was no report, no surprise given no great increase in elevation, but a great increase in intervening topography. Since I hadn't heard any power noise when I was going to my car, I'm guessing it was Q427, but and with the usual caveats in place, no Form D fulfillment would get heard.
At 0309, D-3 would reach out to AY-3 -- more about whom later -- but naught further would develop in the short term.
An period of radio silence would go into effect, and at 0317, the 333 WLs were dark, and 2 later, there would be a brief spell of hash, "POAY" being clear. The 334 ELs were at Stop and the 334 1 stagger and the 335s dark during the beginning of even more radio silence. Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, and a string of general -- nonplacarded tanks and LPGs, covered hoppers, a pair of MT center beams, and covered hoppers among them -- sat on the Extension and 1. There had been Dispatcher-side garble at 0328 and again at 0334. Dunno if West End and/or public safety incursion.
The EB trip started off and continued quiet, the 333 WLs dark at 0347. Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, the 330 WLs and ELs dark, the GL WLs at Stop, and the FG WLs dark.
The same time -- 0400 -- that the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, there were a coupla spurts of hash, and at 0406, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, a company hopper still on the RVJ stub.
0415 was busy -- D-3 called out 2x to AY-3, got no answer, and then called out 2x to FI-2. Mount Wachusett was now in play, but it sounded like he wanted FI-2 to look and advise what AY-3 had accomplished, with more about "spot everything." There would be naught further getting to me until some 0431 Dispatcher-side hash, naught to follow.
Other usual presences mighta been out and about, but those words never got to me.
 #1577044  by jaymac

0245-0445/07-30-2021 was "interesting," starting earlier and ~0115 with crossing noise heard inside Château-jaymaque and followed by more noise and at such intervals as to suggest an EB. To continue the campaign to save suspense, naught would come out of the speaker during listening time that was to, from, or about Q426/7.
0246 had produced some Yard Channel garbles, and 0305 would produce clearer AYPO car countdowns.
Even static eruptions would become rare, and at 0317, the 333 WLs were at Stop, a stopped marker on 1 just east of the platform. Furthering the red motif were the 334 ELs and 1 stagger and the 335 ELs and WLs. Just east of the 335 ELs sat NewBlue 7534, the selfsame 7534 of the tied-down POED of Stephen Demboske's http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=264784 of 07-29. No actual land speed records would be endangered by this POED.
There would be a bit of POAY garble at 0334, and up Da Hill, the 345s would be dark. There were LP tanks and MT centerbeams on 1. The same as on 07-28? Dunno, but it would seem weird that there would be new LPs and MT centerbeams in the same place. There were Brand X gons to the south with shorties to the west.
The EB leg of the trip started off quiet, 0358 bringing the breaking D-3 side of a convo with FI-2. He rogered what they said, but then went into garble. 1 later, the 333 WLs now showed a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding, the shunting courtesy of POED still accumulating dwell-time. There would be some more ZombieZone garbles, D-3 clearing up to be heard saying "?? was pretty much cleared out when ED-9 picked up all the racks." There was more breakage that included a question about MTs to bring over, followed by a roger to FI-2.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2/ The 330 WLs and ELs were dark, but the Medium Approach showed that 400's route -- however far to the east -- was in. The FG WLs were dark, and dark, solo, and west-facing KCIR sat in the FI-1/2 parking spot at 0413, as did racks on East Side. 7 later, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and a company hopper still sat on the RVJ stub.
At 0431, there was garble with only "PO" clear. AYPO or POED? Dunno, but a partial car countdown at 0440 lent some weight to AYPO as the source, only quiet for the next 5.
 #1577240  by jaymac

0245-0440/08-02-2021 started off and continued quiet, only the P@W Dispatcher at 0247 and P&W Yard Channel at 0251 offering any proof of scanner function for more than 1/2 hour.
OT again, but the message boards advising 2100-0500 closure of Rte.2 between Exits 100 -- Rte. 13 -- and 99B -- Rte. 12 -- for the rail-trail UGB project have been updated for another round, this starting on 08-15.
At 0317, the 333 WLs were dark, and at 0321, the 334 ELs were at Stop and the 1 stagger dark, the same time as brief spurts of Road-side Channel 1 hash started.
The continuation of the WB trip -- Mount Wachusett temporarily twixt me and the Paxton antenna -- offered Dispatcher-side hash at 0326 and 0328, the latter clearing up enough for a roger and OK on signal indication.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, and 2 and 4 in the yard were pretty well FP-FP with general and scattered racks, the racks on the easterly ends of both tracks being loads. ED-8 would get D-3 attention to the east later on, so guessing they'd dropped there earlier. There had been some encroaching public safety receptions, but at 0335, there was some semi-clarity from D-3 to FI-2 that included a roger. Silence again resumed.
The 333 WLs were dark at 0346, the same time as there was a hashed D-3 reception to C&S 547, other deets lost. Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, the 330 WLs and ELs dark, and the GL WLs at Stop. Just west of a River Street sag at 0351 there was Yard Channel hash. Later, the FG WLs were dark, and at 0401, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, and the East Side looked pretty well full, mostly with covered hoppers.
Post refueling stop and at 0408 came a clear "3-step, " the ID probably a casualty of scanner timing. At 0412, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, a company hopper still on the RVJ stub.
0421 produced some Yard Channel hash, and 1 later, D-3 reached out x2 to ED-8, specifying Road Channel on the 2nd shoutout and advising they'd be tying down at San-Vel and to call him at WL for a 241, that coming at 0440 to the NS 6954 for 2 east at WL to the FM #2.
Also 0421, D-3 had reached out to FI-2, OKing them on signal indication and asking how many trash cars they'd then off the Camp so he could update his program. Since naught further would get to me by the 0440 end of listening, no idea if the trash cars were MTs or loads for either West Main or West Side.
 #1577399  by jaymac

0244-0455/08-04-2021 started off even earlier than that with crossing noise heard from inside Château-jaymaque at 0110and 0128, an appropriate interval for an EB transiting the X7.8 and X11.2 (Prescott Street) crossings. Dunno if it was Q426 cuz any mention of Q426 and/or Q427 failed to come outta the scanner speaker during listening time, the usual caveats in place. What did come outta the speaker at 0244, however, was POAY doing car countdowns, a frequent feature of early listening, the clarity variable, the variables of distance, elevation, and intervening topography all doing their best to be confounding. Never did hear POAY getting a signal indication OK.
At 0317, there would come a badly garbled Form D G301 with a Line 3 and a Line 7. Dunno what CP -- mebbe West End -- was removed from service. The time effective was also 0317, and no cancellation ever got to me.
0320 was when the 333 WLs were at Stop, a tied-down, dark. and EB KCIR 5933 sitting on the #2 with a loaded rail train, an NS box east and a SOU box at the westerly end of the platform as buffers. Destination? Dunno. The Deity Of Randomness was in Generous Mode cuz -- besides Stops on the 334 ELs -- the 1 stagger was G/G Clear, WB KCIR 7528 soon changing that. Yes, the Crosstrek was able to get from the 334s to the 335 lot a lot quicker than the WB, a Clear on the 335 EL and then the 7528 plus NSs 8897, 8014, and 9817 plus KCIR 5976 getting 61 onto the Single at 0340. If that seems like an overpowered train, ~1/2 were 3- and 5-pack wells with DS trash and single and DS C&D, the well multiples being counted as cars and not positions. There were also fair numbers of racks and a string of nonplacarded tanks -- an ADMX among them -- so guessing that Ayer was the point of origin. FI-3 or ED-9? Dunno -- never heard.
There were only a few short garbles the rest of the way WB, but up Da Hill the 345 Single EL was at Slow Clear cuz the #1 was occupied by a dark NSs 6964, 4090, and 4375 plus loaded racks however far west of the Timpany Boulevard UGB. There were cars in the yard, including racks on the easterly end of 4, but dunno if they were loads from the anonymous EB, MTs for the approaching or other WB to lift, or a combination cuz I had other time-sensitive commitments to the east. Precision Scheduled Gawking is a thing.
The EB trip was quiet, even beyond the 0407 sighting of the 333 WL Stops and stopped rail train. Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear and the 330 WLs and ELs dark. The Stops that had been on the GL WLs went to a Medium Approach Medium for the Controlled Siding, so 400 had at least part of their route.
The FG WLs were dark, and at 0422, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT. The Deity Of Randomness had left Generous Mode while I was EB, not only as far as fewer receptions, but also with a series of unfavorable traffic lights. That changed, and the transit to the RVJ lot took only 5 minutes and RVJ was dead, permitting a viewing of the dark EB staggers for Derby and a company hopper still sat on the stub.
The next 28 minutes would have only short static eruptions, some of them IDable as P&W.
 #1577583  by jaymac

0315-0510/08-06-2021 showed that a later start didn't produce clearer receptions, receptions mimicking the patchy fog on the landscape. Things were quiet until 0327 and some D-? garble that included a ? about the Freight Main, followed by "just want to reiterate" and "not supposed to pick up more than 10,000 tons."
0345 produced more D-3 breakage, 11 and IM3 among the yarding instructions. The recipient -- 22K? -- said with similar breakage that there had been trouble with the PTC on the #2.
0347 produced D-3 garble to POAY -- more about whom later -- and 0348 produced darkness on the 333 WLs. The usual displays in the usual sequence followed, things quiet until partway up Da Hill and 0357 garble, but from AMTK. 2 later there was D-3 garble.
The 345s were dark, and the yard was pretty well occupied. From the east, 2 had a few tanks -- including LPGs -- and rack loads well to the west, changing into general that included at least a few CRYO-TRANSes. There were also generals -- at least on the east -- visible through the gaps. PD Gardner was busy from 0408 on -- possibly involving the 2 cruisers and 2 pedestrians by the Super 8 -- so there mighta been some other D-3 activity that got overridden.
At 0418, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east at 0411 and in the Westminster Street ZombieZone, D-3 reached out to ??AY or AY??. Even further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2. The 330 WLs and ELs were dark, but a Medium Clear was on the GL Controlled Siding WL, hinting a straight shot on 1 to at least North Leominster for the 400, confirmation to come.
The FG WLs were dark, but just east of the ELs sat a KCIR and a Pony, further IDs blocked by foliage, as were any possible additional units. The FI-1/2 parking spot was MT at 0435, also when there were nearby -- but unattributable -- car countdowns. 0441 was when the EB staggers for Derby showed an Approach Limited for 1 and a Stop for 2, a company hopper still on the stub. FI-2 at Lafarge or mebbe even Keating? An unattributable nearby somebody did call out their own Slow Approach at 0442. 0446 -- with the help of a now-intervening Mount Wachusett -- produced more D-3 garble, possibly involving BO-2 and a cab.
0457 would produce some Dispatcher-side hash, Boston West contributing to the hash 2 later. Occasional hash would continue for the balance of the trip, "POAY" escaping into clarity at 0510.
You already know who hasn't been mentioned, and now you know there hasn't been any X7.8 or other nearby crossing noise for Q426/7 as of 0600.
 #1577762  by jaymac

0245-0446/08-09-2021 was productive for audio and visual occurrences and questions, as well.
The P&W St. Albans Dispatcher was kind enough to offer proof of scanner function at 0245, that followed at 0249 by Yard Channel hash.
0315 was the 1st semiclear company reception when AY-3 with the 7585 reached out to D-3, the ensuing garble getting a roger.
At 0318, the 333 WLs were at Stop, dark NSs 6950, 1154, and 6951 having done just that on the #1 a string of general to their west. 0320 was when a garbling D-3 answered AY-3 and OKd then on signal indication. Over at 334, all signals were at Stop and racks -- file them away for future reference -- were now trailing the Ponies. At 0326, a garbling D-3 reached out FI-3 -- yes, three -- with only the ID being clear. At 335, the ELs and WLs were all at Stop, and no marker was visible from the lot.
The way WB would have some occasional garbles, at least 1 of which IDable as AMTK, and up Da Hill, the 345s were dark.
The yard was pretty well full, 1 having general including Brand X gons, covered hoppers, and then mebbe some racks from the Yard Lead switch to just about the westerly FP. the 2 had 4 tanks and then a long string of loaded racks to just about the westerly FP. The 4 was too obscured to get a good look, but there was naught by the easterly FP.
The were rare garbles at the start of the EB leg, the 333 WLs still at Stop and ditto for the Ponies at 0353, the same time that D-3 gave FI-2 with the 5972 an otherwise-broken 241 for Derby.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, the 330 WLs and ELs dark, the GL WLs at Stop, and the FG WLs dark.
There had been Dispatcher-side garble 0405 and more from Yard Channel at 0407. No surprise, but the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT at 0411, and at 0412, FI-3 called out to D-3, changes in topography garbling developments. 0417 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, the company hopper still on the RVJ stub, and also the time that somebody said something about running around the train. In a couple, FI-2 would get permission to reverse direction from where they stood on the #2 and proceed west to CPF-Derby, mebbe a follow-up to the 0417 partial.
0429 was when D-3 answered Q427 and -- they being west and clear of Burncoat -- fulfilled Form D G302 to CSXT ???(?).
There would be some more -- you guessed it -- garbles, and at 0437, D-3 told FI-3 to call when down at WL for a 241.
There would be some more intervening garbles, but at 0446, D-3 would answer FI-3 x3 and then give NS 6957 a 241 for the # 2 at CPF-WL to the # 2 FM. To this mere mortal civilian, it seemed like FI-3 would be going to San-Vel, prompting ?? about the racks on the tail of the presumed ED-8 at 334. Were there that many Fords in that many futures, or was that just the way things shook out to the west?
 #1577948  by jaymac

0245-0455/08-11-2021 was -- as will be seen -- filled with the unusual. Things started off at 0247 with garble demonstrating that Boston West was busy, followed 4 later by D-3 giving a broken 241 for WL to AY-3 with the 5972, FI-1/2's power of late. Much more will follow. A period of relative radio silence would next begin.
OT, but there'd been a message board change for Rte. 2 WB closures/detours between 2100 and 0500 for Exits 100 -- Rte. 13 -- and 99B -- Rte. 12. The WB side closure has been delayed until Sunday, 08-22, and the EB side is already shut down and detoured. In even more message-board news, 1 on Rte. 13 SB by the Main Street UGB advised of daily closures of the ramp to Rte. 2 EB between 0800 and 1500 -- yes, daytime.
At 0318, the 333 WLs were at Stop, no headlights or marker to the nearby west. Over at 334, the Controlled Siding WL was at Stop, the 2 WL at Approach, and the 1 stagger at Stop, general sitting on the #1. The ELs and WLs for 335 were all at Stop, and KCIR 7541 plus at least 1 obscured trailer sat just clear of the EL. To save suspense, naught would be heard to, from, or about that WB.
0336 was when radio semiclarity returned, D-3 telling AY-3 to tie their train down on the *garble*, get a PTC engine -- the 7835 -- with the rest to go Freight Main *garble*. There would be more, but Mount Wachusett would trash it. A couple later, D-3 reached out to Q426, advising that they'd be another while and that the new crew would be on at 0500. There would be more that got garbled, but subsequently, there would be naught to, from, or about 426 that would get to me.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, and general sat on the westerly third of the 4. At 0423, D-3 would reach out again to AY-3, advising that the cab company said that no cab would be available until 0600, so they could take 1 of the engines back to Ayer instead of waiting. No Idea what the crew said, but D-3 said, "Alright, D-3 out." Yes, more will follow.
Except for some initial public-safety encroachments, things were quiet until 0351 garble, that followed at 0352 by D-2 clearly telling LA-2 to stand by, naught -- again -- later being heard to, from, or about.
At 0357, the 333 WLs were still at Stop, and no additions were visible on the #2. At 0401, D-3 would reach out to ?(?)-01 with garble that included "Keolis" and "the signal at 335," more to follow.
Further east and after a refueling stop, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, the 330 WLs and ELs dark, and the GL WLs at Stop. The FG WLs were at Stop, and at 0417, KCIR 5972 was in the FI-1/2 parking spot and on the westerly end of the aforementioned 7835 and 1 other and illegible KCIR tailer, that 3some followed by BNSF hoppers. So -- had a partial EGT just come west? Dunno, but seemed logical.
What now followed was WB horn noise, that followed by an older unit and a total of 4 flats and 1 bi. Since 400 was due outta Wachusett at 0425 and there would be no Service Alert for the 400 being delayed, guess a ferry move was in process and what had been heard earlier mighta been "K-01."
At 0429, the EB staggers for Derby would be dark and a company hopper still on the RVJ stub. Only a few garbles would be heard for the following 26 minutes.
Seems like daylight hours would be busy.
 #1578154  by jaymac

0245-0455/08-13-2021 wasn't especially bad for a Friday the 13th, especially since the Weather Channel online radar accurately predicted the July-4th-ish lightning display I was seeing on the clouds to the WSW would stay EB along the MA-CT border.
The Deity Of Randomness , however, was less providential, not even any garble until 0256 and that from AMTK. 0301 would provide a small serving of Channel 1 Dispatcher-side hash, the next serving 4 later and on Road side. 0315 would be when D-2 would answer LA-4 (mebbe) and roger whatever they said.
At 0317, The Deity Of Randomness would start serving up slabs of déjà-vu, starting with all Stops on the 333 WLs and neither headlights visible E or W nor a marker visible W. Another slab got served over at 334 -- all the signals -- even the 2 WL today -- were at Stop, general sitting on the 1, including a stand-alone slurry, there and unremarked on the 08-11 report.
Other slabs came at 335 -- the ELs and WLs all at Stop -- and dark KCIR 7541 and at least 1 trailer sitting tight against the EL. It's possible that the 7541 had gotten to Deerfield, gotten east, and returned to 335 in the intervening 48 hours, but it's also possible that a dwell-time record was being challenged. At 0336, a spurt of Dispatcher-side hash would break the radio silence of the last 20+ minutes.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were all at Stop. General sat on the westerly fraction of 1, and 1 gon east and MT racks west to just about the FP sat on 2. 4? Dunno. The House had gotten some occupants, a regulator to the east and a tamper. A short trip west was undertaken to see what might be shunting the 345s. Naught was visible at the usual observation points, and the 346 WL was showing a Stop at 0352, with neither headlights or marker visible to the east. All the while, radio silence was maintained. Dunno if there might be either a reset to constant-on or relay issues involved with the lit lights.
Radio silence continued EB, and at 0406, the 333 WLs were still at Stop and no added presences visible. Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, the 330 WLs and ELs dark, and the GL Controlled Siding WL was at Medium Clear, at least that part of 400's route in. The FG WLs were dark, and at 0420, KCIR 5972 sat dark, solo and facing west in the FI-1/2 parking spot, some neighboring covered hoppers for company.
At 0423, there would be some Dispatcher-side hash, and at 0426, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and a company hopper still occupied the RVJ stub. At 0432 came "AYPO, drop the 3," followed by hash, and there would be more Yard Channel hash at 0434, but in a different voice.
The Deity Of Randomness flipped to generous mode at 0440. Not only was D-3 clear when he called out to Q427, but I was also in a place where I could pull off the road to copy. D-3 fulfilled 426's Form D to CSXT 3181, the number being G34 2-- yes, three-forty-two. 08-12 musta been busy. CSXT 587 got G306 for X25 to Burncoat made effective at 0441. The request for time into DCS was made, that followed by "Thank you. Dispatcher out."
The next 15 would have only partials that included somebody telling somebody else to come on back.
Q427? The crossing noises had gotten closer, but still weren't to the X7.8 as of 0605.

edited for update: crossing noises for X7.8 0630, X6.0 0640, and X4.6 0649.
 #1578325  by jaymac

0245-0455/08-16-2021 started off slow, Boston West garble at 0245 and the automated Morse ID on the PVRR frequency a couple later being the only proofs of scanner viability until 0303 Yard Channel garble. The next noise? AMTK hash at 0311.
At 0316, the 333 WLs were dark, Stops on the 334 ELs and darkness on the 334 1 stagger and the 335s, to follow, not even hash to interrupt the silence.
A bit further WB and at 0324, D-3 answered LA-3 with the 516, discussing what they had -- 2x22 -- and rogering whatever they next said.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs were at Stop, and a WB on 2 was crossing the Timpany Boulevard UGB, so I continued WB, but a few too late to beat the power to the 346.6, which came on at 0333, the same time that D-3 reached out to ED-9 to check on their status. ED-9 was unheard, so they weren't the WB I was eyeballing. D-3 rogered whatever ED-9 said and said they'd need a Line 12 for Willows Road, that being G303, adding that they should call when they needed a 241. 0340 was when the WB got a no defects, total axles 404, 55°m, 6204', and train too slow. Among the mix were a mix of wrapped centerbeams among slurries, company gons, a Big G box, and more FBOXs than I'd seen in a bit. Didn't hear an acknowledgment, but I'm guessing a POED cuzza the slurries and centerbeams.
0344 was 241 time for the ED-9 with NS 6952 for 2 west to 1 at CPF-WL. .
Back at the yard, the 2 and 4 were occupied pretty much FP-FP, a CRYO-TRANS, NS and BNSF coil cars, covered hoppers, tanks, and a coupla company gons among the more visible. Also visible were the regulator -- E -- and tamper on the House. The 345s were now dark, so there was naught else WB in the near term.
The EB trip started off quiet until a brief Road-side and then Dispatcher-side slinging of hash at 0402. At 0404, the 333 WLs were at Stop and then went dark. Further east. the 330.8 showed a Clear for 1, a Stop for 2, and the 330 WLs and ELs and GL WLs were all at Stop. also at stop and with the marker on the 2 across from the Fitchburg head house was a string of occupied DS wells. Maersk and Maersk-ish branding on the containers.
At 0416, D-3 answered FI-2, next going into hash mode., clearing up enough to hear a 0417 time effective for Form D G303, the earlier Line 12 for ED-9.
At the top -- and thus semiclear point -- of the Summer Street ZombieZone came the start of a then-garbled 241 for CPF WL east on the 2 FM. The FG WLs were at Stop, but the power for the EB was invisible, and at 0421, the FI-1/2 parking spot was predictable MT.
3 later, D-3 would tell FI-2 to stand by cuz he had to deal with the signal for Keolis, the 400 due out at 0425. That done, FI-2 with the 5972 was 241d from 2 at WL west to the 1. 0425 would be when D-3 gave 22K their yarding instructions -- 1 to 2 and overflow to 3 if needed. 2 later, a company hopper was on the RVJ stub, and the EB staggers for Derby were dark, so 22K musta already been knocking on the door.
There would be brief Yard Channel garble at 0434, and 0437, D-3 called out to ED-9, further developments obstructed by Mount Wachusett. 8 later, D-3 answered AY-3, advising that FI-2 was on the 1 and 22K was on the 2 and about to yard, but he'd talk to FI-2 to see if AY-3 could come up behind FI-2. the 3-later convo with FI-2 got hashed, but then and a bit more clearly, D-3 told AY-3 that its was OK for their runaround and to tie their cars down on 1 at WL.
AY-4, AY-4, AYPO/POAY and Q426/7? Naught heard to, from, or about including X7.8 crossing noise as of 0610.
 #1578456  by jaymac

0245-0450/08-18-2021 was a period in which The Deity Of Randomness was generally in a providential mood. Yes, NECR hash at 0245 and 4 later Boston West hash provided initial proofs of a working scanner, but the ~0045 noise for the X7.8 crossing had promised lotsa listening, but only a brief spurt of Yard Channel hash would exit the speaker at 0301.
What had been provided was every favorable traffic light possible, allowing a 0314 arrival at the dark 333 WLs. The usual sights would be seen in the usual sequence, but all to silence, until 0324 AMTK hash mosta the way up Da Hill.
The 345s were dark, and at 0327, D-3 answered AY-3 with the 7585, authorizing them to enter and occupy the #2 at Moores Crossover and head east, time of authorization being 0329. The Extension and 1 had a CRYO-TRANS and 6 rack loads, an INTERFOR-tented centerbeam, boxes, and at least 1 NS coil car to the west. Visible on the 2 between the gaps were numbers of DS dirt tables and other mixed general. Dunno about theobstructed #4, and the regulator and tamper were still on the House. At 0333, D-3 reached out to Q426, repeating the call at 0334 and adding the specificity of CSXT 766. Next came a series of public safety encroachments, so dunno deets about 426.
A couple into the EB leg of the trip, D-3 reached out to POAY, hedzupping that they'd need a Line 12. There'd be some static on the way EB, but at 0345, D-3 answered POAY and issued Form D G302 for BF33.50, Willows Road. Dunno if the issue was the same or a separate 1 , there being Line 12s on 08-16. The time effective was 0349, the same time that the 333 WLs were dark, D-3 adding to POAY that they'd need a 241 when they got to WL, that unheard by me.
Further east and in another few, D-3 told 23 --yes, three -- K they were OK to head west. 23K was audible, so they weren't too far east. The 330.8 WBs were both at Clear, the 330 WLs and GL WLs at Stop, and the 330 1 WL at Clear. Sitting on the 2 across from about the midpoint of the platform and out of sight to the east was a string of MT racks, indicating that East Side and West Side sometimes aren't enough for rack overflow.
WB noise got made at 0359 and 0440, and NSs 6951, 9433, and 7655 got 141 all-occupied well and table positions west of the 330 ELs at 0405, the rear ~1/4 being a mix of single-high and DS trash and C&D. A minute later, D-3 would tell somebody he had a Line 12 for them, another to be unheard by me.
The FG WLs were at Stop with naught visible by the Credit Union, and at 0414, KCIR 5972 was dark, solo, and west-facing in the FI-1/2 parking spot, and 6 later, the EB staggers for Derby were dark.
At 0428, POAY would reach out to D-3 on the Yard Channel, some static to follow. At 0431, D-3 would give POAY their yarding instructions on Channel 1 -- down 11 with 11x5 to go to IM3, some hash, and then 13 to pick up, more hash, then something about somebody supposed to be testing up POAY's Barber pickups, more hash, and then a request to stand by.
At 0438, D-3 reached out on Yard Channel to AY-4 x2, going back to Channel 1 and advising POAY that D-3's Yard Channel wasn't working the way it should, so they should get ahold of AY-4 and advise they were supposed to pull the pigs on IM3 so POAY could get in and then respot the pigs 2 to 3. 0442 was when a Channel 1 AY-4/D-3 confab started, D-3 repeating the other official's instructions about pulling the pigs from IM3 for POAY and then repotting to 2 and overflow to 3, followed by thanks. Until the 0450 end of listening there would be sporadic Yard Channel hash, guessing at least some from AY-4.
A busy 125 minutes.
 #1578592  by jaymac

0245--0456/08-20-2021 was productive of more than just rain. On that OT matter, may Hurricane Henri chose to move well offshore.
0245 was when D-3 241d a Keolis Extra -- power lD lost -- 1 west to 1 at CPF-WL, not the only support of disrupted operational patterns in effect. Also asked -- and for those who keep track of such things are done -- was the crew's time on duty.
Radio silence -- at least for me -- would go into effect, and at 0315, the 333 WLs were dark. Over at 334, the Conntrolled Siding WL was at Stop, the 2 WL at Approach, and the 1 stagger at Stop. At 335, the 2 EL was at Restricting, the 1 EL and the WLs at Stop, dark NS 6971 plus any trailer(s) and racks standing to the east, and the Keolis Extra probably still to the east.
At 0332, D-3 would answer ED-8, hash coming in response, which D-3 rogered, adding an OK on signal indication, hedzupping that when they got down to Willow Road, there'd be a Line12 and also a 241. Starting to think CPF-WL might be in the middle of a project and not a problem. D-3 added that he didn't know the San-Vel status -- some MTs might be spotted, adding even more that he'd had a crash and it would be a bit until he got the reset done.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, and 2 in the yard had general east, then racks, then more general, looking remarkably like 08-18, except the centerbeam was MT and the racks gave forth no interior reflections. The 4 added to the déjà vu by showing red containers through the gaps. The regulator and tamper were elsewhere.
0346 was when D-3 reestablished contact with ED-8 and issued G306 to NS 6964, a Line 12 for Willow Road, time effective 0348. Next came the 241 for 2 west to FM2 at CPF-WL.
Further east and just west of the crest of Rte. 2 EB and at 0351 came a partial from D-3 to ED-8, saying that should do what they could until 0600. Parts escaping also included "clear up the Main," and "pull down the Stony Brook to Graniteville."
Silence resumed, and at 0358, the 333 WLs were dark. Further east and after a refueling stop, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2.
The 330 WLs and ELs were dark, but the Medium Approach on the GL WLs showed that at least part of the route for the 400 was in.
At 0416, there was brief Yard Channel garble and the FG WLs were dark, as would be west-facing KCIR 5972 in the FI-1/2 parking spot at 0418. At 0425, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, a company hopper still on the RVJ stub, and at 0426 somebody told somebody else that they were clear of the Thorofare.
Radio silence would return until 0444 with some Dispatcher-side Channel 1 hash. a bit later, D-3 would be clear when he convoed with Q427 and the CSXT 3367. They being west and clear of Burncoat, D-3 fulfilled Form D G-302 at 0449.
At 04554, D-3 would open a convo with mebbe-POAY, saying he was ready to copy, and later asking at 0456 whether they were still in possession of their Form D G-338, presumably their Line 12 for Willow Road as POAY. Didn't wait for the CPF-WL 241.
The other expectable presences? Did't hear, so dunno.