Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Northcoast Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#154306  by mc367

Hello,

Hopefully someone can answer this for me, How often dose the Northcoast run on Saturday, if at all? I'm going out to New York and am hoping to get the NHN on the way out. Haven't done it since '99 when they were still using the GP9's.

Thanks
-Justin Franz
 #154376  by GP40MC1118

I can't speak for the NHN around Ossipee on Saturday, but there hasn't been a Saturday DOBO/BODO road freight in a long while. Lately, the train hasn't even been run the usual 4-5 days per week. That being said, they could be working at the pit. Plus if a Friday night DOBO runs, you might see BODO coming up from Dover early in the morning.

As far as power goes. most of the GP9's were sold and sent to Michigan.
Two Geeps remain and the NHN leases two ex-CR GP38-2's from Helm
Leasing. One is in NHN paint and the other is still in CR blue.

Dave
 #154533  by CSX Conductor

GP40MC1118 wrote: Lately, the train hasn't even been run the usual 4-5 days per week.
Is this due to a slow-down in business or shortage of crews?

Also, is it NHN crews that come into Boston, or Guilford?

NHN

#154692  by GP40MC1118

NHN crews take the train from the pit into Dover. Strictly GRS crews to and from Boston.

Could be the traditional mid-summer lull for the reduced trips...

D

#154724  by mc367

Thanks for the info,

Might try to take a swing at the Downeaster or whatever else we can find. With the completion of most of the big dig how had this affected the NHN.

-Justin
 #155829  by Matt Langworthy

Two of the GP-9s, 1756 and 1760, are still on the roster. From the pics I've seen, NHN seems to run after daek most of the time. It's an interesting line, with features in Raiplace and Railroad Explorer in recentyears.

#155864  by brianpwestgate

One correction. 1760 is one of the GP9s sold to the Adrian & Blissfield. She is the only one of the four that has been in operation here though. ADBF purchased 1755, 1758, 1759, and 1760. That means NHN retains 1756 and 1757. Their numbers should remain as is, since ADBF's other GP9s are 1751 and 1752. No repainting has been done yet, other than to take off the NHN marks and put ADBF on the cabs.
Brian Westgate in Blissfield, MI
 #156322  by b&m 1566

GP40MC1118 wrote:NHN crews take the train from the pit into Dover. Strictly GRS crews to and from Boston.
That's not always the case. Sometimes NHN travels further south. I for one have seen NHN engines in Haverhill, MA crossing the Merrimack River. I have never seen one in Boston, but I would bet they have been there before.
Saw a picture of a few NHN engines in Plaistow, NH off of nerail http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... Northcoast
and again in Lawrence, MA
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... Northcoast
 #156356  by 130MM

b&m 1566 wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:NHN crews take the train from the pit into Dover. Strictly GRS crews to and from Boston.
That's not always the case. Sometimes NHN travels further south. I for one have seen NHN engines in Haverhill, MA crossing the Merrimack River. I have never seen one in Boston, but I would bet they have been there before.
Saw a picture of a few NHN engines in Plaistow, NH off of nerail http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... Northcoast
and again in Lawrence, MA
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... Northcoast
B&M1556 -- you will note that GP40 said GRS crews run the train from Dover to Boston.

NHN

#156493  by GP40MC1118

As 130MM already pointed out, I said GRS crews between Dover and Boston. The power has always run through. It's pretty rare to get a GRS
unit on DOBO/BODO.

In fact, I have a photo of them in Somerville in daylight in the latest issue of Railroad Explorer...

Dave

#156581  by b&m 1566

Sorry about that, I miss understood what you were saying.
That is something that I did not know though... I did not know Guilford's crew used NHN engines and took the train from Dover to Boston. Why won't Guilford allow NHN to go to Boston on there own?
 #156594  by GP40MC1118

As for NHN crews taking the train into Boston, this would require new operating/trackage agreements between GRS and the MBTA. Seems to me that GRS would rather keep their portion of the haul and NHN is content to stay in NH.

NHN, even if this was to happen, would likely need to hire a second train crew to do the Dover/Boston leg.

Dave
 #157096  by CSX Conductor

Is it safe to say that they will be having delays?

Anybody know if they know who the truck driver was? Is he/she gonna be brought up on any charges?