Railroad Forums 

• Siemens to manufacture 83 Airo Intercity Trainsets for Amtrak: Design, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1569307  by ST Saint

No surprises here:
https://media.amtrak.com/2021/04/amtrak ... equipment/
WASHINGTON – After a competitive procurement launched in January of 2019, Amtrak has identified California-based Siemens Mobility Inc. (Siemens) as the preferred bidder to manufacture a new fleet of 83 Intercity Trainsets (ICTs), which will provide dual power in many instances and modern rail amenities to better serve all Amtrak customers. The ICTs will operate on the Northeast Corridor, Palmetto and various state-supported routes and will replace the current Amfleet I, Metroliner cab and Cascades service fleets. Accompanying the contract to manufacture the trainsets will be a long-term service agreement for technical support, spares and material supply.

“This new state-of-the-art equipment will not only provide Amtrak customers with an enjoyable and efficient travel experience, it will also enable us to improve safety, increase passenger capacity and reduce carbon emissions,” said Amtrak CEO Bill Flynn.

Amtrak has targeted summer 2021 for contract execution and notice to proceed and will spend the time between now and then continuing negotiations with Siemens for this generational procurement.
Goodbye Metroliner cab cars, and maybe the remaining Talgo's too(?).
Last edited by nomis on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1569311  by bostontrainguy

ST Saint wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:41 pm No surprises here:
https://media.amtrak.com/2021/04/amtrak ... equipment/

Goodbye Metroliner cab cars, and maybe the remaining Talgo's too(?).
So what about replacing the LD Amfleets? Is this just for shorter Amfleet 1 trains and Amfleet IIs are going to be a separate contract?

As far as the Talgos go, I would really like to see all of them (Wisconsin ones too) used on the Chicago-Detroit run. I think that would be a great line to optimize their abilities.
 #1569314  by orulz

At this point it still seems ambiguous as to whether this will be loco-hauled or MU trainsets. Any information known about the specifics of the Siemens bid?
 #1569318  by NH2060

I have very little doubt that these won’t be loco hauled. With the 70 ACS-64s, the dozens of state owned SC-44s already in service and the 75 ALC-42s coming online over the next couple of years I don’t see them being MUs. What would the diesels and electrics have left to pull? :P And I don’t see Amtrak wanting to have a small(er) EMU/DEMU fleet when it can have an even more standardized locomotive and “corridor coach” fleet.

That being said it would be quite something to see a brand new Amtrak EMU/DEMU in operation more than 40 years after the original Metroliners were last used in regular service on the NEC. So we’ll see come this summer!
 #1569326  by Gilbert B Norman

It would appear that Siemens is following the model for the DB/OBB Euro City and the OBB/CD Rail Jet. Both are seven car, locomotive hauled/pushed, and can be combined to make a fourteen car train if need be.

In the case of the Rail Jets, there will often be two sets combined Vienna-Salzburg, where the two sets will be split with one to Innsbruck or further East and the other to Munich.

OBB Rail Jet

CD Rail Jet

Euro City
 #1569328  by lordsigma12345

Reference Amfleet 2s - in the past Amtrak has stated the Amfleet 2 replacements may use options on this order if something can be produced that can replace them and be compatible with Viewliners. So it may be an option on this order or it may be a separate bid - have to wait and see the specifics of the order.
 #1569330  by Gilbert B Norman

The A-II, S-I&II replacements will likely be free standing (vice semi-perm coupled) single level cars that will be readilly convertible for Corridor use as LD's could well be phased out during their service life - and possibly new Corridor routes and additional frequencies will be developed.
 #1569336  by Matt Johnson

Siemens has a good product, and this seems like the logical outcome, except for the trainset/implied fixed consist part. NEC trains range from 2 coaches (Springfield shuttles) to 4 or 5 coaches (Keystone, Vermonter) to 7 to 9 coaches for a typical Regional, often expanded to 10+ in peak travel periods. What's the appeal of "trainsets" over individual coaches?
 #1569340  by eolesen

I'd think the use of trainset is semantics.

This looks like a combined order for power, coaches, food service and maybe even full or partial bag cars.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1569341  by gokeefe

orulz wrote:At this point it still seems ambiguous as to whether this will be loco-hauled or MU trainsets. Any information known about the specifics of the Siemens bid?
If you search Siemens Inter City Trainsets you'll get the "Venture" landing page at Siemens. Read the fine print carefully but their use of "trainset" is not inclusive of motive power. It also does not appear to imply semi-permanent coupling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1569342  by Gilbert B Norman

How say we "keep the champagne corked" until there is confirmation the contract has been let.

Now, anyone, how will this equipment be paid for.

Recent orders have been funded from the private capital markets, but with the severe deterioration of Amtrak’s financial position, that source may not available.

An appropriation by enacted legislation may be the only source at this time.

I think it presently ill-advised to consider this major procurement, need notwithstanding, a done deal.
 #1569351  by rcthompson04

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 pm How say we "keep the champagne corked" until there is confirmation the contract has been let.

Now, anyone, how will this equipment be paid for.

Recent orders have been funded from the private capital markets, but with the severe deterioration of Amtrak’s financial position, that source may not available.

An appropriation by enacted legislation may be the only source at this time.

I think it presently ill-advised to consider this major procurement, need notwithstanding, a done deal.
I am not sure that a pandemic induced collapse in financial standing would stop based on the pre-pandemic numbers and whatever infrastructure bill passes. The future demand to use these cars in a less carbon driven economy is also a thing going in their favor.