Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1565349  by markhb

I noticed today that at least one of the engines on the Downeaster has what appears to be a 50th Anniversary logo on the side. Has anyone gotten pictures yet?
 #1565385  by MEC407

AMTK 46. Here's a recent photo from RR Picture Archives:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=5489794
 #1565427  by markhb

MEC407 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 am AMTK 46. Here's a recent photo from RR Picture Archives:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=5489794
Awesome! Thanks!
 #1566600  by markhb

Did anyone happen to listen to today's BoD meeting? Was there anything of interest discussed?
 #1566633  by codasd

In the CSXT STB filing for the purchase of PAR it in mentioned that 'CSXT plans to install Positive Train Control (“PTC”) (I-ETMS) on the PAR System line segment north of the Massachusetts/New Hampshire State line to Brunswick, ME, which hosts the Amtrak Downeaster service described above. The PTC installation and funding responsibility will be coordinated with Amtrak. MBTA has installed PTC (ATC-ACSES)...' Since this is not a federally mandated requirement what would the CSXT impetus be for this move? Will they be able to reduce signaling requirements or be able to increase speeds on the Downeaster and their freight trains? I have seen that BNSF is installing PTC on freight only lines so it appears that there is some technological benefits that must produce saving or better reliability.
 #1566634  by markhb

codasd wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:33 pm In the CSXT STB filing for the purchase of PAR it in mentioned that 'CSXT plans to install Positive Train Control (“PTC”) (I-ETMS) on the PAR System line segment north of the Massachusetts/New Hampshire State line to Brunswick, ME, which hosts the Amtrak Downeaster service described above. The PTC installation and funding responsibility will be coordinated with Amtrak. MBTA has installed PTC (ATC-ACSES)...' Since this is not a federally mandated requirement what would the CSXT impetus be for this move? Will they be able to reduce signaling requirements or be able to increase speeds on the Downeaster and their freight trains? I have seen that BNSF is installing PTC on freight only lines so it appears that there is some technological benefits that must produce saving or better reliability.
I believe that all Class I's are legally required to install PTC on lines shared with passenger trains. However, there are others here far more knowledgeable than I am so I would defer to them.
Last edited by markhb on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1566643  by nomis

Correct, PanAM the Class II could stay under the federal threshold of 12 passenger trains a day (with a signal system) and be grandfathered in before requiring PTC, but a Class I does not have that stipulation & must install PTC for passenger use.
 #1566675  by MEC407

Am I remembering correctly that some capacity improvements are already in progress, like restoring double track between Wells and North Berwick?

If so, what improvements would CSX want/need in addition to that one?
 #1566960  by budd6209

Did any one listen to TrainRiders virtual meeting on zoom. They were planning on talking about simplified trip from the Downeaster stations to New York City's revitalized Penn Station in New York City. At North Station, you would cross the platform to an awaiting Amtrak Regional train, thus eliminating the challenging and time-consuming subway commute to South Station (or the costly taxi ride). And of course, the trip to Maine, New Hampshire & Massachusetts from the Big Apple would be equally accommodating.
 #1566966  by Arborwayfan

That sounds nice for the hypothetical POR-NYP (or Wells-New Haven) passengers but it'd be a whole lot cheaper to run a really nice bus with a good luggage section and free redcaps between North Station and South Station (if only capital money could be used to set up an endowment to support future operations, because the shuttle would have essentially no capital costs vs upgrading the Grand Jct) AND diverting some NEC trains, even if they were new Inland Route trains as opposed to existing Shore Line trains, to North Station would make things more complicated for the Boston passengers -- which station do I go to? Which one has the next train to NY?