Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1564319  by newpylong

Look at the filings now - 6 in a row! Gonna be a long night of reading lol.

It looks like the end of the predecessors roads, bittersweet. However, maybe for once the confusion will end. This hierarchy is insane:

Systems directly and wholly owns PAR, which in turn directly and wholly owns four rail
carriers: Boston & Maine, Maine Central, Portland Terminal, and Springfield Terminal. Boston
& Maine directly and wholly owns two rail carriers: Northern and Stony Brook. Boston &
Maine also owns a 98% interest in V&M. Collectively, these seven rail carriers (referred to
herein as the “PAR Railroads”) own rail lines and provide rail service on a rail system (the “PAR
REDACTED – TO BE PLACED ON PUBLIC FILE
System”) in New England from Maine in the north to the Boston region in the south. Springfield
Terminal operates rail service on the PAR System on behalf of the PAR Railroads pursuant to
leases over lines owned and leased by the other PAR Railroads, and none of the other PAR
Railroads currently operates.
Boston & Maine also owns a 50% interest in the Class II rail carrier PAS, a 50/50 joint
venture between Boston & Maine and NSR. PAS provides rail service between upstate New
York and Boston and between Vermont and Connecticut. Springfield Terminal, also a Class II
rail carrier, operates PAS as PAS’s agent.
Last edited by newpylong on Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1564320  by CN9634

My off the wall, cart before the horse thought — Amtrak can put in place a Boston North Station to NYC train service seamlessly over CSX, for connection/extension of the Downeaster and anyone commuting from the North side. That would be an interesting win for those who don’t like flying or driving to NYC from ME/NH and northern MA
 #1564321  by FatNoah

The letter of support from Monadnock Paper Mills in Bennington NH had me scratching my head. They stated that they rely on Springfield Terminal to originate and terminate traffic at their facility (from reading the letters, you can see there was definitely a suggested template from CSX). AFAIK, the Monadnock facility hasn't had rail service since the 80's. Given the previous contention on that branch, I wonder if they're hoping to get back to shipping by rail.
 #1564322  by FatNoah

Amtrak can put in place a Boston North Station to NYC train service seamlessly over CSX
I think you misspelled "Portland to NYC via Worcester". ;)
 #1564323  by newpylong

FatNoah wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:08 pm The letter of support from Monadnock Paper Mills in Bennington NH had me scratching my head. They stated that they rely on Springfield Terminal to originate and terminate traffic at their facility (from reading the letters, you can see there was definitely a suggested template from CSX). AFAIK, the Monadnock facility hasn't had rail service since the 80's. Given the previous contention on that branch, I wonder if they're hoping to get back to shipping by rail.
This is one of those historical consignees who was quoted as saying, "never will use rail until Guilford is out of the picture." Still, it seems a stretch doesn't it?
 #1564325  by newpylong

Is it mentioned in the NS trackage rights sub-docket that they are looking for more than 1 train per day over the B&A? In the main filing it clearly spells out only one. Assuming that isn't a mistake, could 23K go out the B&M ie they are prioritizing only the CHI to Ayer traffic?
 #1564326  by FatNoah

This is one of those historical consignees who was quoted as saying, "never will use rail until Guilford is out of the picture." Still, it seems a stretch doesn't it?
It absolutely does, but with VTR in the picture in NH drumming up business (including aggregates starting this year?), it seems far more possible.
 #1564328  by Train60

The Downeaster gets PTC with this deal.
CSXT plans to install Positive Train Control (“PTC”) (I-ETMS) on the PAR System line segment north of the Massachusetts/New Hampshire State line to Brunswick, ME, which hosts the Amtrak Downeaster service described above. The PTC installation and funding responsibility will be coordinated with Amtrak. MBTA has installed PTC (ATC-ACSES), which is in service between Boston, MA and the Massachusetts/New Hampshire State line.
 #1564329  by johnpbarlow

Looks like desired consummation date for the CSX acquisition is 7 months out or roughly 10/1/21. NS 22K/23K trackage rights for over CSX/P&W/B&M/PAS is requested for March 27, 2021. I'm guessing 22K/23K will run single stacked until the Worcester main clearances are improved - not sure when that will be...
 #1564331  by b&m 1566

FatNoah wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:19 pm
It absolutely does, but with VTR in the picture in NH drumming up business (including aggregates starting this year?), it seems far more possible.
I won't be surprised if Monadnock Paper Mill comes back but they better be ready to pony up the money to rehab the tracks, even though the state owns that end of the line, don't expect them to front the money.
 #1564335  by Gilbert B Norman

Looks like PAS, under the guise of Berkshire & Eastern, is to become a Class III road with Class 1 track.

As of this hour, NO coverage from any recognized source beyond Newswire. None whatever at general financial media such as The New York Times, or the Wall Street Journal. Also, no coverage at Railway Age.

Oh well; guess Rails and Ports will be out with an "Extra, Extra, read all about it"!
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1564337  by johnpbarlow

I'm wondering if NS 22K/23K will be able to drop/pick-up Davisville auto racks somewhere in Worcester on the P&W tracks between CP-45 and Barber's over which NS will have trackage rights?
 #1564339  by NYC27

CSX operates around 700 miles of track in Massachusetts and 220 in Connecticut
Springfield Terminal is 1165 miles
That is 2085 miles in total
1165 is a track mile total (or ST plus PAS). They used 808 in the filing today. CSX is still bigger.