Railroad Forums 

• LI trash (MSW) update?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1561110  by rb

I see tons of flatbed trucks hauling bales of trash on the LIE and through the city. Recent articles about possibilities for exporting trash by rail all focused on C&D. What's the latest on exporting MSW by train?

Looks like Republic Services just set up two big operations in MA: one in Springfield that basically uses the same system as WM in NYC, and another closer to Boston that uses double-stacked 40' open top sea containers.

It's kind of crazy that there's no similar operation on LI. Is anything in the works?
 #1561124  by freightguy

I was wondering the same, my guess would be that's the eventual plan out of Brookhaven Rail Terminal.

The Waste Management bushwick facility started as a big C&D move doing like 20-30 cars a day. Then they switched to MSW out of that facility. I would figure that's where the money is at down the road moving MSW off Long Island.
 #1561133  by Sir Ray

Wasn't that suppose to be the operation at Island Rail Terminal on Emjay Blvd in Brentwood. It burned down in 2013, and was then shut down by the State.
Google Aerial just shows a kind of half-used cluttered junk/storage yard there now. Looks like the truck scales are still there, however.
 #1561185  by DogBert

This link was posted in the BRT thread:
https://www.newsday.com/services/sponso ... 5rBIA1KUQA

It's a paid ad explaining a plan to build a large waste transfer station next to BRT (south side of the tracks).

I suspect this will eventually happen, given how unrealistic it is to be trucking all this material off the island. Of course there's going to be plenty of politics and nonsense in between. Blissville was planned out with for a good two years before any trains rolled. The yard was relaid maybe four to five years before trash trains rolled.

During the process, some know it all's tried to get the move handled via Harold, direct to oak point. I'm only surprised they didn't suggest sending it through Penn...
 #1561191  by freightguy

Yeah the breakdown of that article is confusing it looks like a C&D transfer facility in Newsday after the landfill closes. 230 acres for C&D and "e commerce warehousing" I would've like to have seen more general freight commodities on that side but who am I, lol.