Railroad Forums 

• South Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1560043  by planespotting

NS 5657 was working in South Bound Brook on December 29. I'm not sure if it was working the tanker cars (East of the station) or the hopper cars (West of the station). It came in from the West with one lone hopper that could have been platform car. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to watch the operation but here are a few quick shots...

#1560077  by Bracdude181

@planespotting Nice pictures.

Just curious. What do y’all think the future will bring for the Beesleys Point Secondary east of Tuckahoe? Is abandonment on the table? Can Seashore Lines do anything with this section?
 #1560078  by liftedjeep

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 pm @planespotting Nice pictures.

Just curious. What do y’all think the future will bring for the Beesleys Point Secondary east of Tuckahoe? Is abandonment on the table? Can Seashore Lines do anything with this section?
Bracdude,

You seem like a very enthusiastic railfan, with high ambitions. That's a good thing!! We need more rail buffs like you! I've enjoyed your posts regarding various rail lines throughout South Jersey!

With nothing but good intentions, may I make a suggestion?.....

As far as Cape May Seashore Lines goes, both with the Clayton and Tuckahoe operations, your best bet might just be to take a breather, and wait and see what happens. We can all sit here for the next couple of months/years and speculate until we go nuts! I believe we've had this same discussion on the Cape May Seashore Lines thread, and it has yielded little, if any definitive answers. If there is indeed anyone out there who knows for sure what the future has in store for CMSL, they are staying tight lipped. Quite frankly, I don't blame them.

I believe there are indeed some good possibilities in the future for Cape May Seashore Lines. However, I think our best choice is to let time tell us what they are.

Ben
 #1560102  by Bracdude181

@liftedjeep

Thank you so much for your kind words. Your one of the very few people who actually encourage what I do. There’s very few people like that in the area where I railfan. (Conrail in Central NJ)

I’ll be honest, there aren’t that many people in my region who are into this hobby just for the fun of watching trains. The railfan community in South Jersey seems far more healthy than it is in Central and North Jersey. A significant portion of the railfans up here are not good people. They see some areas as “their zone” and aren’t welcome towards anyone who doesn’t support their ideologies. They don’t seem fond of people spreading information either, presumably because they want to be the ones to do it. I won’t name any names for the sake of respecting people’s privacy, but its a big problem and has been for many years.

I’ve yet to see any of this behavior in the South Jersey area and it’s one of the reasons why I’ve been spending more time here. Catching trains is harder down here because of the way everything is set up and the scheduling is kinda strange, but it’s very rewarding. For what it’s worth, Conrail in South Jersey is a far better operation than what we get up here. North Jersey Conrail would make for a better sewer system than a railroad!

One more thing, you are right about people that do know for sure what’s going on with Seashore Lines. All things considered, the limited info being made public is probably for the best. I’ve got a good feeling that things will get better very soon, and things will finally change for the better in Central and North Jersey when they do.
 #1560142  by R&DB

@ planespotting.
That unit at South Bound Brook was probably out of Manville Yard. I believe they usually switch that area.
 #1572038  by johnnyloco

5/23/2021

A former New Haven FL9 arrived at Pavonia yesterday, spent the night, and was taken to Fairhill in Philadelphia this morning by the CA15 crew on a light engine move.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5554198

Close-up of the WEBX 2024-
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5554201

Philly in the background-
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5554191

Pavonia-
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5554192
 #1572065  by R&DB

Re: South Jersey
#1572038 by johnnyloco
Sun May 23, 2021 9:37 pm
5/23/2021

A former New Haven FL9 arrived at Pavonia yesterday, spent the night, and was taken to Fairhill in Philadelphia this morning by the CA15 crew on a light engine move.
John, great find. Any additional info? Where did it come from? Why is it going to Fairhill? Switcher for Case Paper?
 #1572327  by johnnyloco

R&DB wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:13 am
Re: South Jersey
#1572038 by johnnyloco
Sun May 23, 2021 9:37 pm
5/23/2021

John, great find. Any additional info? Where did it come from? Why is it going to Fairhill? Switcher for Case Paper?

Thanks. Sorry for the delay- the unit is privately owned by Webb Rail LLC. It was heading to the Juniata shops for mechanical and electrical work, and later, exterior restorations. Check out the link to their website, specifically for this unit.
https://www.webbrail.com/2024
 #1572355  by R&DB

#1572327 by johnnyloco
Thu May 27, 2021 8:47 pm
+

Going from Fishkill to Juniata it seems strange it stopped in Pavonia. Kinda out of the way.
 #1574850  by JohnFromJersey

Anyone know what the state of traffic on the Beesley's Point Secondary is looking like these days? I know they closed the coal power plant a year or two ago...
 #1574859  by johnnyloco

JohnFromJersey wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:18 pm Anyone know what the state of traffic on the Beesley's Point Secondary is looking like these days? I know they closed the coal power plant a year or two ago...
Beesleys typically sees one local (CA51) on the weekdays. They normally work International Paper (Barrington) John's Manville (Williamstown), Carter Lumber (Cedar Brook) and the interchange tracks in Winslow for the SRNJ (stone, lumber, sheet rock). About once a week they will work Tuckahoe and drop or pick up cars from the CMSL storage line. Cars being stored there are usually tankers, covered hoppers, gondolas or articulated flat cars. About twice a month or so, Atlantic Sweetener will receive a car in Folsom. In the mornings, CA69 will work ABC Supply in Camden. That's about it for Conrail. The CMSL will run special passenger excursions between Richland and Tuckahoe on holidays and other special events. That's about it for the current Beesleys operations.
 #1579573  by Bracdude181

Is CA51 going to Winslow today? The train I normally see isn’t coming today by the sound of it, so I need something to chase lol.