Railroad Forums 

• Bad news for Housatonic and CSOR?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#150203  by Ale Rider

Articles in todays (Sat July 23) Hartford Courant Business Section detailed the possible closing of a Automotive Parts maker in Meriden that might be a CSO customer and the Kimberly Clark paper products plant in New Milford that definitely is a major customer of the Housatonic.....

#150322  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

The automotive parts maker doesn't have a siding. The made fuel tanks for autos.

#150329  by Noel Weaver

Although KC has cut back in New Milford, as yet, no announcement has
been made as to the future of the New Milford facilities. They have cut
back there over the past four or five years.
The Housatonic will be hurt if the plant closes but they have other "irons in
the fire".
Noel Weaver

#150393  by NellsChoo

You mean there are companies in the US still making car parts? SHOCKING!!! (insert sarcasm here)

#150475  by CSX Conductor

NellsChoo wrote:You mean there are companies in the US still making car parts? SHOCKING!!! (insert sarcasm here)
Yes Nells, in fact GM is a huge shipper of parts by rail, not that you'd know since you drive a Ford, LOL, :-D
 #150491  by zz4

I might be all wrong but did not somebody mention once Georgia-Pacific in Newtown? was a customer?

I seem to see at least by driving rt.25 the place seems to be no more?

#150532  by NellsChoo

We used to be a GM family, but we won't go into THAT! :wink: The Housatonic is a railroad I'd like to see more of in action. We didn't get to go down to Lime Rock this summer, so I missed my chance for a sighting...

#150557  by CSX Conductor

Housatonnic local NX-12 can be found at Pittsfield on the B&A opposite the CSXT Pittsfield yard office in the mid afternoons usually. The new Amtrak station's platform, or the roof of the garage, might be a good place for a few photos of NX-12 coming off the Housatonic onto CSX @ CP150. They head east to 2nd street to set-off their cars for CSX for Selkirk, and then spend some time in the 'west yard' which is opposite the yard office (& Teo's) switching out the cars which were delivered their from CSX for them to take home. They usually stay on CSX's road channel #1 while doing their switching.
 #152203  by oakpoint

Recently I have made pick ups from Meriden Municipal Airport with auto parts flown in on a private Jet for J B Auto.

They make plastic fuel tanks for vehicles.

The place is quite big and busy so I can't imagine them closing down.

Charles D

#155979  by Urban D Kaye

There's a fair chance I'll be vacationing near Lee, Massachusetts soon. I'll keep eyes and ears open for that that NX-12.
-Urban