Railroad Forums 

• A question for our Norac rules gurus.

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#154857  by jg greenwood

Please tolerate my ignorance of Norac/commuter ops. When in the "push mode," is rule #106 in effect? If not, why not? Difficult for me to feature being restricted to 30-mph. Thanks for any information.

#154859  by DutchRailnut

Rule 106 has to do with Semi Automatic switches ?? you quoting right rule ?? I think your looking at # 116
see: Rule # 106. Semi-Automatic Switches
a. Trailing Movement
If crew members have determined that there are no conflicting movements, trains are authorized to make trailing movements through semi-automatic switches where switch stands are painted yellow or orange without lining them for movement.
b. Reverse Movement
Reverse movement must not be made unless:
1. An entire car or engine has passed over the switch.
OR
2. The switch has been lined by hand to assure that it has completed movement to proper position.
During periods of snow or ice accumulation, semi-automatic switches must be properly lined by hand before being used in either direction.

The following rule is however on trains backing up, engineer NOT on leading end, In push-Pull the engineer would be on leading end of move.

Rule # 116. Operating Train from Other Than Leading End
When the Engineer operates a train from other than the leading end of the movement, a crew member must be stationed on the leading end of the movement to observe conditions ahead and take action to properly control the movement of the train. This crew member must be qualified on the physical characteristics of the territory involved. Hand signal, communicating signal or radio communication must be maintained with the Engineer. If signals from the crew member cannot be received by the Engineer, the movement must be stopped immediately. The crew member stationed on the leading end must be prepared to operate the engine whistle or horn, if available, as well as the emergency brake valve, should conditions require. The train must not exceed 30 MPH.
This rule does not apply when switching, making up trains in yards, or when the movement is preceded by a crew member.

#154872  by jg greenwood

DutchRailnut wrote:Rule 106 has to do with Semi Automatic switches ?? you quoting right rule ?? I think your looking at # 116
see: Rule # 106. Semi-Automatic Switches
a. Trailing Movement
If crew members have determined that there are no conflicting movements, trains are authorized to make trailing movements through semi-automatic switches where switch stands are painted yellow or orange without lining them for movement.
b. Reverse Movement
Reverse movement must not be made unless:
1. An entire car or engine has passed over the switch.
OR
2. The switch has been lined by hand to assure that it has completed movement to proper position.
During periods of snow or ice accumulation, semi-automatic switches must be properly lined by hand before being used in either direction.

The following rule is however on trains backing up, engineer NOT on leading end, In push-Pull the engineer would be on leading end of move.

Rule # 116. Operating Train from Other Than Leading End
When the Engineer operates a train from other than the leading end of the movement, a crew member must be stationed on the leading end of the movement to observe conditions ahead and take action to properly control the movement of the train. This crew member must be qualified on the physical characteristics of the territory involved. Hand signal, communicating signal or radio communication must be maintained with the Engineer. If signals from the crew member cannot be received by the Engineer, the movement must be stopped immediately. The crew member stationed on the leading end must be prepared to operate the engine whistle or horn, if available, as well as the emergency brake valve, should conditions require. The train must not exceed 30 MPH.
This rule does not apply when switching, making up trains in yards, or when the movement is preceded by a crew member.
Thanks Mr. DRN. Rule #116 is exactly the rule I was referring to. I see now that I totally misunderstood the "push" concept. In either mode, the engr. is on the leading end. I appreciate the clarification.

#154937  by Jtgshu

With rule 116, the person on the leading end of movement, (not necessarily the conductor - can be any qualified crew member on physical characteristcs) becomes the eyes for the engineer. This is a simple "back up" move for whatever reason - shoving into a yard, shoving back to an interlocking to go to a different track, missing a station stop :-D whatever.

The engineer stays at his "cut in" controls, adn simply operates the train in reverse. the person on the leading end must operate the headlight, ditch lights, horn, bell, for grade crossings, passing trains, MOW workers, etc, etc, whatever they may encounter along the way, and be prepared to stop the train - ie dump it.. Continous contact MUST be made with the engineer - if an engineer looses contact with the person on the leading end, the move MUST stop.

Push/pull simply means passenger equipment that doesn't have to be turned around and always have an engine on the front of the train - MU cars are also considered "push pull" in the eyes of NORAC.

#154948  by jg greenwood

As I said, I completely misunderstood the push method. Thanks to the both of you for the info.