Railroad Forums 

• Station Developments

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1521900  by Arlington

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:08 pm
Arlington wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:39 pm Is a 4th track still part of the BWI station upgrade?
Not really. 4th track would rip out the station and rebuild at the northern edge of the platform (where the temporary station shack was) as well as build two new platforms. It would of extended track A down to GROVE.

While there's a need to 4-track (all the way down to DC, TBH), the bigger need is between BRIDGE and CHARLES -- the 30 MPH B&P Tunnels have got to go.
So the station was rebuilt in place...and that place still blocks the path of the planned 4th track and platform? How was that smart money?

My guess is that you're wrong: that the station won't need to be ripped out.

Most drawings I've seen make it look like there was just a little "bump out" on the trackside of the old station taht neefed to go,* and that, once gone, a double wide platform, additional track and new vertical circulation would be "bolt on" (not requiring any more demolition)

* the smaller yellow rectangle mostly covered by a black dot, in the above. is that still there (in that track-blocking spot) or has it been relocated in the rebuild?
 #1521910  by STrRedWolf

Arlington wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:28 pm
So the station was rebuilt in place...and that place still blocks the path of the planned 4th track and platform? How was that smart money?

My guess is that you're wrong: that the station won't need to be ripped out.

Most drawings I've seen make it look like there was just a little "bump out" on the trackside of the old station taht neefed to go,* and that, once gone, a double wide platform, additional track and new vertical circulation would be "bolt on" (not requiring any more demolition)

* the smaller yellow rectangle mostly covered by a black dot, in the above. is that still there (in that track-blocking spot) or has it been relocated in the rebuild?
It's still there. There's enough room for a single track to thread through but not enough for two outer platforms and an inner platform... which is part of the design they pushed. Here's the EIS docs:

https://www.mta.maryland.gov/bwi-amtrak ... mprovement
 #1521915  by Backshophoss

Since when do state government papers wind up on a pay site? :( The doc is PAYWALLED! :P
 #1521924  by daybeers

Backshophoss wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 pm Since when do state government papers wind up on a pay site? :( The doc is PAYWALLED! :P
I imagine that's somewhat illegal.
 #1521926  by Arlington

Backshophoss wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 pm Since when do state government papers wind up on a pay site? :( The doc is PAYWALLED! :P
Not for me. https://www.mta.maryland.gov/bwi-amtrak ... mprovement
Whose paywall were you seeing?
 #1521935  by Backshophoss

That was the 2nd layer when that paywall showed up,from the Link that red used. :P :P :P
Was heading to the plans/blueprints buried in the Appendices
 #1524202  by daybeers

WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:37 am Another thing I forgot to mention about Ashland, VA (ASD)'s upgrades: they're supposed to be getting displays to indicate on what track the train's arriving. Right now, customers have to look down the tracks and determine what track the train's on. Fortunately, rail speed limit through Ashland is 35 mph: slow enough to run across in most cases.

If you're not familiar with Ashland's layout, the tracks are bidirectionally signaled with Track 3 being next to the station (right side looking south) and Track 2* being opposite. The station building itself is owned by the town and used as a visitor center for the area. When open, they do allow use of the waiting room area. There are also seats outside the station under the awning. Not every train stops on Track 3 and no guarantee that Northbounds are on 2 and Southbounds on 3. As I said, usually you can run across. It's complicated when a freight's passing through the station which may cut off your access to Track 2. They don't board Track 2 from the Track 3 side nor do they protect Track 3 while boarding Track 2.

*=no Track 1 in Ashland, due to RF&P's numbering. There's a Track 1 well to the north and Track 1 Advance opens up just north of RVR. There was once a Track 1 (siding, I believe) through Ashland.
I don't know how anyone in their right mind likes to board there. The process is incredibly dangerous and doesn't make any sense. I hope they do the upgrades quickly! I don't understand why the platforms are staying low-level, though. I thought high-levels were required when doing extensive renovations.
 #1524281  by WhartonAndNorthern

daybeers wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:34 pm
I don't know how anyone in their right mind likes to board there. The process is incredibly dangerous and doesn't make any sense. I hope they do the upgrades quickly! I don't understand why the platforms are staying low-level, though. I thought high-levels were required when doing extensive renovations.
It's a very old station and CSX won't allow a well car or high/wide to scrape against a high level platform. By slightly raising the platform, it brings the height closer to the bottom step of an Amfleet trap making access easier for folks with mobility issues. It will hopefully eliminate the yellow stool as well.

There's no room for a gantlet track and the town fought off attempts to add a third main.

As an aside, I was in Ashland for Train Day and also railfanned around town the day before and day after. Always a good time in Ashland!
 #1524326  by gokeefe

I doubt that very much.

At the moment it appears that the status quo will prevail for at least another ten years.