Railroad Forums 

• Norwegian State Railways (NSB)

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1486664  by STrRedWolf

So watching a few "train engineer's view" videos from HinduCowGirl on Youtube, a female engineer, who works the Bergen Line and Flam Line passenger trains in Norway (Bergen to Oslo, branch service to Flam)... and I'm now wondering.

Anyone know about the crossing warning signs along the line? These are the signs that tell the engineer to blow their horn, but they're four different styles (all diamond shape). A solid diamond, a straight vertical line (station?), a straight horizontal line (crossing), and a combination. I've Googled around and all I get are the signaling lights, which isn't what I want.
 #1486676  by RRspatch

Have you tried posting a message in the comments section of her video on YouTube? I follow several German locomotive engineers all of whom speak English. They have been very helpful in answering my questions about DB operating practices. The last reply I got was from Ananas 747 who operates out of the Würzburg area in Germany.
 #1486795  by ExCon90

In the first video (Flaam - Myrdal, 2 months ago) the flashing white light seems to indicate that the gates and flashers are operating at the next crossing, and it looks as though the diamond with crossbar may indicate approach to a crossing without gates and flashers. The one with the plus sign may indicate approach to an unstaffed station, since there is one before Lunden and also the next halt. A lot of European railroads are meticulous about having wayside indicators for things like that. (The SP used to have wayside white oval signs reading STATION/ONE MILE.) I haven't watched the whole video yet, so this may or may not hold up.
 #1487147  by STrRedWolf

ExCon90 wrote:In the first video (Flaam - Myrdal, 2 months ago) the flashing white light seems to indicate that the gates and flashers are operating at the next crossing, and it looks as though the diamond with crossbar may indicate approach to a crossing without gates and flashers. The one with the plus sign may indicate approach to an unstaffed station, since there is one before Lunden and also the next halt. A lot of European railroads are meticulous about having wayside indicators for things like that. (The SP used to have wayside white oval signs reading STATION/ONE MILE.) I haven't watched the whole video yet, so this may or may not hold up.
I was able to google the wayside signals easy enough. My focus is on the diamond signs along the way.
 #1487157  by ExCon90

That's what I said in my first sentence, right after the comma. When I watched more of the video later, I noticed a yellow diamond without markings shortly before arrival in Myrdal--that might indicate approach to a staffed station with switches and signals.
 #1487158  by STrRedWolf

ExCon90 wrote:That's what I said in my first sentence, right after the comma. When I watched more of the video later, I noticed a yellow diamond without markings shortly before arrival in Myrdal--that might indicate approach to a staffed station with switches and signals.
From the engineer herself:
HinduCowGirl
6 hours ago
You are spot on in your assumtions :) For the diamond shaped sign without any stripes, that is just for "general warning". :D We have one of those just before Ørneberget.

So vertical stripe is station, horizontal is crossing, and both is a station next to a crossing. Blank is general warning.
 #1487166  by amtrakhogger

I viewed "Stormy" video and in the beginning they have position light dwarf signals (PRR type) in the interlocking as the train leaves the station. Neat.