Railroad Forums 

• West Virginia Will Pay 1.5 Million to Marc

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1470927  by Sand Box John

"Backshophoss"
Even with a full array of ad blockers, the outbrain AD app make the article unreadable by pushing thru unneeded crap!
Makes the entire setup unstable from the start.

I am guessing you are using some form of portable device. If so, see if you can edit the hosts file. My desktop computers redirects some 16,000 unwanted web sites to 127.0.0.1 by use of the hosts file. In Windows boxes the hosts file is in %SystemRoute%/windows/system32/drivers/etc In Linux boxes its in /etc . 616 kb text file does the work of all those ad blockers.

Ad blocking using hosts file.
 #1470941  by andrewjw

Sand Box John wrote:"Backshophoss"
Even with a full array of ad blockers, the outbrain AD app make the article unreadable by pushing thru unneeded crap!
Makes the entire setup unstable from the start.

I am guessing you are using some form of portable device. If so, see if you can edit the hosts file. My desktop computers redirects some 16,000 unwanted web sites to 127.0.0.1 by use of the hosts file. In Windows boxes the hosts file is in %SystemRoute%/windows/system32/drivers/etc In Linux boxes its in /etc . 616 kb text file does the work of all those ad blockers.

Ad blocking using hosts file.
I'm not aware of any way to set this on either major mobile operating system - at all on iOS, without root access on Android, which is a non-starter for many users due the security issues and the existence of Knox and Safetynet. Besides, it's still valid to raise this issue about the linked website because some other forum users might not have the technical know-how for such a change.
 #1470953  by MCL1981

WV has a good point about the cost of the subsidy. With only a few hundred people, it is an absurd expenditure of taxpayer dollars. If all the people who drive past the WV stations to board at Brunswick stopped doing that, what would the ridership be from the WV stations?
 #1471232  by mtuandrew

As long as MARC isn't wedded to Martinsburg because of service facilities, it makes as much sense for WV (Martinsburg) to offer fast bus service to a Harpers Ferry terminus. That $1.5m could pay for buses and some other transportation facilities - like a partial share of a daily Cardinal for instance.
 #1471360  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote:As long as MARC isn't wedded to Martinsburg because of service facilities, it makes as much sense for WV (Martinsburg) to offer fast bus service to a Harpers Ferry terminus. That $1.5m could pay for buses and some other transportation facilities - like a partial share of a daily Cardinal for instance.
It's more of a storage yard for MARC. Maintenance shops on that line are Brunswick or Monocacy.