Railroad Forums 

• RCL stuff

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#119255  by UPRR engineer

I've been through the rounds with that one too my friend. We never had to wear vest before the remotes came is what I told them. I never did put my vest on the outside of my coat, well unless it was extemely cold outside. Think the last time they got on me about it I said give me an act, and they drove off. I forgot all about that stuff, another reason I don't like that stupid vest. LOL

#123450  by Sir Ray

Steelwheels, a few days back in your post you described a lot of problems with the controllers.
Are the boxes really that sh*tty - it sounds almost like a beta mock-up (where you expect to find problems, and fix them for the final production version) instead of a robust, production version (and it needs to be robust to work in such a harsh environment).
Sounds almost as crappily designed and poorly made as a cheap Chinese DVD player (please note, Chinese workers could make a quality product, but are apparently instructed by their American Corporate overloads not to...)

#123458  by UPRR engineer

They are pretty tough. Most of the controls are made of plastic which can be changed in a couple of minutes. There are regular radio shack type metal toggle switches on the top of the box for the horn and bell and what not. The rest of the box is made of aluminum or steel. The paint wears off pretty quick, like i said there pretty tough, they can take a beating and still work. I dont know what kind of problems steelwheels has had, but our boxes only get shipped off for repairs if they lose com with unit alot.

#128458  by slchub

Hey Steel and UPRR,

next time your in TPX, goto HE SLAKEHUB, and you will see bids out for a coouple of engineer job in Roper. The 21st street jobs have been RCL for over a year and a half, and now they are bidding them back to hoggers. Rumor has it we are getting rid of the damn boxes eventually systemwide. Maybe the Candians have finally talked some sense into them about the problems they had with them.

#128643  by GOLDEN-ARM

HEY SCHLUB, HAVE NOT BEEN ON THE TCS SYSTEM IN A WHILE, IS THE OLD "HE 1BATMAN1" STUFF STILL THERE? THAT GUY HAD THE BEST JOKES IN THE WORLD. (RUMORS WERE HE WAS FIRED, NEVER DID FIND OUT FOR SURE.) REGARDS :-D

#128666  by AmtrakFan

Question with RCL Do you get more $ for you qualify for RCL?

#128674  by SteelWheels21

If you work an RCL job, you get around 15 bucks extra a shift for "box pay".

#128695  by slchub

Golden arm, When they call me tonight, I'll take a look and let you know.

Regards

#129177  by UPRR engineer

Well i hope that is true. I dont see them quitting RCL here anytime soon. I wouldnt mind it if they did. I'd jump on a yard goat again in a heart beat. Do they pull over alot of RR crossings in Roper?

#144921  by UPRR engineer

We had another wreck this week, better not go into detail. The company gets pretty upset when the RCL units get dinged up. They stashed it away where guys (news men) cant get a good picture of it. :wink: Wish i could say that that stuff never happened when there was a hog up there, but that aint the case.

#144963  by Guest

Conductors on the NS hold the contract for the RCL. The unions want to kill each other over it. BLAH! I say to the whole thing. I'm a conductor, so I guess I should be happy to have more jobs. Truth of the matter is, I rather have an engineer to back me up. If I make a stupid mistake, the hogger usually catches it. I guess I'd be happy to run a RCL, but only if they are gonna' pay me a hogger's wage.

-r

#144975  by UPRR engineer

Well i dont know how the NS remote control contact is, but here with the 15 bucks for box pay they get the same as i did as a yard hog. The kicker is you have to do both jobs now for what i got paid.