Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1439156  by east point

Beech only does major overhauls of LDSL. Bear does rebuilds and regular work only on Amfleets - 1s. NOL has done some work but unknown how detailed. Leaves only MIA.
 #1439179  by ApproachMedium

Tadman wrote:Here's an interesting question: how many injuries have they had from open outside doors? And how would dropping propulsion prevent the injury when the train is moving at 79mph? I've seen many conductors open a door and lower the trap while moving in order to make a station stop short, as well as highball before raising the trap and securing the door. I've also see a SL lounge door pop open at track speed because it wasn't properly dogged shut despite being closed. In which of the three scenarios here would this door protection circuit help matters? Answer: NONE.
Lets see, a guy got dragged to his death in bradley beach NJ about 10 years ago because of a faulty door and no protocol for bypassing the system, they would just bypass it because it was annoying. Now that not allowed. The train left the station with the door shut, but not with a closed and locked indication because it was bypassed. In the last few years a number of people have gone missing from Amtrak trains around the country, mostly long hauls, because they let themselves out while the train was moving. The propulsion door circuit would require everything secured before leaving a station. Might it add a few more seconds? Yea. Does it matter? No. They will just adjust schedules accordingly. Almost every commuter railroad in the northeast is operating with these types of systems with good success, and since its become a hot button issue the need to cut the system out requires a notification to the dispatcher as well as the offending door, or doors in that car locked out internally to prevent them being opened automatically or manually, unless there is an emergency.

As for the speed, if a door opens while the train is moving at 79 it may not stop somebody from falling out, but they sure as hell would know it happened. The one train i read about that an elderly man with memory issues fell off of, happened in the middle of the night. It took at least a week i think for them to find the body. Nobody knew he was gone until the train was long past his stop. Maybe if they knew somebody had gotten out, or it was harder to do without somebody knowing about it, then maybe he might have been alive. Its all about the legal mumbo jumbo.
 #1439331  by ThirdRail7

Greg Moore wrote:This is all nice... but...

When's the next batch of cars.
That's the real question for this particular topic!
You, Ngotwalt and Rockingham Racer aren't doing your jobs!! The information should have been here already. :wink:

ApproachMedium wrote:
Tadman wrote:Here's an interesting question: how many injuries have they had from open outside doors? And how would dropping propulsion prevent the injury when the train is moving at 79mph? I've seen many conductors open a door and lower the trap while moving in order to make a station stop short, as well as highball before raising the trap and securing the door. I've also see a SL lounge door pop open at track speed because it wasn't properly dogged shut despite being closed. In which of the three scenarios here would this door protection circuit help matters? Answer: NONE.
Lets see, a guy got dragged to his death in bradley beach NJ about 10 years ago because of a faulty door and no protocol for bypassing the system, they would just bypass it because it was annoying. Now that not allowed. The train left the station with the door shut, but not with a closed and locked indication because it was bypassed. In the last few years a number of people have gone missing from Amtrak trains around the country, mostly long hauls, because they let themselves out while the train was moving. The propulsion door circuit would require everything secured before leaving a station. Might it add a few more seconds? Yea. Does it matter? No. They will just adjust schedules accordingly. Almost every commuter railroad in the northeast is operating with these types of systems with good success, and since its become a hot button issue the need to cut the system out requires a notification to the dispatcher as well as the offending door, or doors in that car locked out internally to prevent them being opened automatically or manually, unless there is an emergency.

As for the speed, if a door opens while the train is moving at 79 it may not stop somebody from falling out, but they sure as hell would know it happened. The one train i read about that an elderly man with memory issues fell off of, happened in the middle of the night. It took at least a week i think for them to find the body. Nobody knew he was gone until the train was long past his stop. Maybe if they knew somebody had gotten out, or it was harder to do without somebody knowing about it, then maybe he might have been alive. Its all about the legal mumbo jumbo.
To expand on this, there could have been multiple occasions where passengers have disembarked without stopping, only to be found by a passing train. A sensor would not only stop someone from being dragged (which is the main reason), it would alert the crew that someone has done something to the door and maybe the investigation can begin sooner, rather than hours later.
 #1439347  by BandA

I'm more familiar with CR MBTA, where there aren't enough conductors to supervise the manual doors, opening, closing, then opening traps on successive stops, never mind collecting fares! So my question is, looking out 10-15 years how will Amtrak deal with a mixture of older cars (with manual doors?), "waiver" VII cars and future compliant cars.
 #1439357  by Greg Moore

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:This is all nice... but...

When's the next batch of cars.
That's the real question for this particular topic!
You, Ngotwalt and Rockingham Racer aren't doing your jobs!! The information should have been here already. :wink:
To be fair, when I posted my question, a certain Highway Sign hadn't yet appeared on another site (or if it had, I hadn't seen it yet).

That and I didn't necessarily want to steal anyone's thunder.

But for those who are curious about what I'm talking about, let's just say if I'm lucky, I might be visiting Columbia or Charleston in the next year.
 #1439425  by ngotwalt

I saw it at like 2:00 in the AM, on what had been a long day. I then fell asleep and completely forgot about it.
Cheers,
Nick
 #1439430  by ApproachMedium

BandA wrote:I'm more familiar with CR MBTA, where there aren't enough conductors to supervise the manual doors, opening, closing, then opening traps on successive stops, never mind collecting fares! So my question is, looking out 10-15 years how will Amtrak deal with a mixture of older cars (with manual doors?), "waiver" VII cars and future compliant cars.

Once the older rail vehicles are displaced, the waiver will no longer be required. Similar to how NJT adapted when they slowly finally got rid of the older cars that required the traps open to electrically open the doors. Now that they are all gone, their waivers and the "open door policy" have been canceled. All of their new trains car doors can be opened or closed for high or low level boarding electronically from one location without the need of a conductor to manually open the door and trap at each stop.
 #1439523  by Woody

Greg Moore wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
Greg Moore wrote: ... but ... When's the next batch of cars?
That's the real question ... !
... The information should have been here already. :wink:
... I didn't necessarily want to steal anyone's thunder.

But for those who are curious about what I'm talking about, let's just say if I'm lucky, I might be visiting Columbia or Charleston in the next year.
You need to say more, not make folks solve puzzles, LOL.

ThirdRail7 has posted clear clues that dining cars Charleston and Columbia will leave Elmira for Hialeah at the end of the month of July.

We're almost there! Now if August and September should end so well. :-D
 #1439651  by ANDY117

NS 099 ran to Elmira today with Amtrak 111, 43367, and 113. Supposedly returning tomorrow with 2 diners from CAF.
 #1439658  by Gilbert B Norman

Encouraging;

Now the next question; has HIA yet been able to make the two "A's" withdrawn reportedly account HVAC issues ready for revenue service?

So presuming this be the case and the remaining A, two B's, and the "I", have remained healthy, and with two "C's" enroute, that will have eight on the property - "on paper" enough cars for both Meteor and Crescent.
 #1439722  by Greg Moore

It appears from another course, Charleston and Columbia are en-route.

Here's to them hopefully quickly entering service!

(and getting the others currently sidelined back into service!)
 #1442276  by Greg Moore

So if CAF really is going to adhere to the "2 a month" schedule, we should be hearing about another movement shortly.

But given the silence, and the issues with the ones delivered, makes one wonder...
 #1442318  by CPSD40-2

I boarded the LSL/49 last week in Penn Station and across the platform was "Augusta", making the cafe/dining car on our train look disappointing in comparison. I was talking with a porter on our train about the new dining cars, and he said, "we're always the last to get the nice stuff!"
 #1442348  by Greg Moore

Yeah, the LSL ain't getting any for quite awhile unfortunately.

Which is ironic because after nearly a decade of NOT riding it, I rode it 3 times in the last 6 months (2 EB, 1 WB).

On the round trip, the cafe/diner SUCKED. On the one trip with my family, it was actually not to bad.

But I can't wait until we get the real diners!