Railroad Forums 

• Mislabeled wreck pic - possibly Rochester on Auburn Road?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1435142  by BR&P

The thread about a Rome-Camden excursion links to 18 pages of stuff around NY state most of it rail related. Some great pics there.

Although there ARE a few which are mislabeled. The pic below is captioned "NYC 4-8-2 #3112 leads freight west of Jordan NY". Obviously that's not the case. What I THINK it might be is the wreck of #18 near Highland Ave, Rochester. Ice on a crossing derailed the pilot truck but the general derailment was about a mile later. I have seen other pics of that wreck but not this one (if that is what this pic is). Somewhere I have another shot but can't find it at the moment. Anybody able to confirm that this is that incident?

#1435344  by JoeS

I can't say for sure, but the house in the background (behind the crowd) has a distinctive roof shape. There is a house with a very similar shape on Hillside Drive about 6 houses north of Highland. A large addition may have been added to the back, but the front of the house is very similar to the one in the picture.

I could be convinced.
 #1435824  by BR&P

Yup, that's the one, Chris - thanks! Derailed on ice at East Avenue crossing, then piled up some distance farther. Engineer was pinned in the cab by his arm. He was freed but lost the arm. He was given a job in the Motive Power department so he could continue his employment.

Steam crane was at Geneva, Kachler's book tells of making an incredibly fast run to get to the scene. Of interest is how many men the railroad employed back then, the wreck train stopped at Canandaigua to pick up "20 to 30 section men", and stopped at Pittsford to pick up more section men. (And probably ran around the crane at Pittsford although the author does not say that).

Thanks for confirmation, I thought that was what we had there. (And it's darn sure not 3112 leading a freight at Jordan!!!)
 #1436024  by sd80mac

Is it engine #1? I cant make it out from that square box on the front.

if pilot has been derailed, how can engineer or any one in the crew not to able to notice it? or see the snow and ballast being kicked away?

I'm not well knowledge with steam engines and what you can see or cant see.... All I know that engineer cant see anything on fireman's side and rely on Fireman's observation for the blind side.
 #1436035  by BR&P

Number plate is missing - that's not a number you see there.

Passenger engine probably had a 4-wheel pilot truck. If only the lead axle derailed it's quite possible they did notice the added drag. And if there was a decent amount of snow on the ground the engineer might have thought he was just seeing what was kicked up by the pilot and not realized it was derailed.

Obviously, just speculation on my part.