Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1407387  by CPSD40-2

I wonder though how long it will take for it to enter service, as theoretically to run something like the Lake Shore Limited, you'd need two diners minimum, one for each direction. It only makes sense to change the food service program for the route entirely, no?
 #1407398  by scoostraw

CPSD40-2 wrote:I wonder though how long it will take for it to enter service, as theoretically to run something like the Lake Shore Limited, you'd need two diners minimum, one for each direction. It only makes sense to change the food service program for the route entirely, no?
Pretty sure u need 3 diners to cover the LSL.
 #1407401  by Greg Moore

Matt Johnson wrote:One lousy diner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's infinitely more than we had yesterday! What more do you want? :-)

Seriously. Give them a chance.
I do find it interesting it's only a single diner, no sleeper or half-bag.

But hey, it's movement!

Now we need pictures.
 #1407402  by east point

If this poster was Amtrak I would run the diner live with a Heritage diner along as a back up in case of major failure. As an alternate at least provide an extra diner lite to go along for a couple trips say 5000 miles ?
 #1407403  by EL3601

Well here you go. ONE GP, 2 cars and a P42.
Attachments:
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG (971.94 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 2737 times
 #1407407  by Greg Moore

Sweet pictures!

I assume it will overnight in Albany tonight and then SB tomorrow and then on to Florida?
 #1407461  by jstolberg

Matt Johnson wrote:One lousy diner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actually, that makes sense (especially if the roomette modules don't fit). They started with one of each design (diner, sleeper and bag-dorm). Amtrak gave them a thorough going-over and came up with a list of things they'd like changed, didn't meet spec, or wasn't what they expected. CAF took them back and made the modifications. Now Amtrak has a revised diner with everything they asked for.

Expect more testing and evaluation. Only after they get the two thumbs up will the real production begin.
 #1407466  by Greg Moore

The current plan last I understand was to name the diners after states (not necessarily capitals) that have single-level trains (I was going to say LD trains, but I notice Augusta is in the
list.

Anyway Here is an UNOFFICIAL list.

But this makes one wonder... what's the story with Albany?
 #1407472  by Backshophoss

It seems that the module sub contractors will be "on the hook" for the "fixes",unless there's proof of "faulty specs" from CAF/Amtrak.
If memory serves,the Bag/Dorm,Diner,and Sleeper tested twice on the NEC,there was a different Diner on the 2nd test run.
If this is the Diner from the 2nd NEC test,there's a bigger problem(structure or truck?? )that keeps "Albany"(from the 1st test) at the factory.
Should this Diner "test out" properly,it could open the gates for the rest of the Diners.
 #1407475  by ApproachMedium

If this car is A-Okay it will probably get pooled in with the cresecnt or the meteor wherever the 8400 is right now. All training etc complete and the rest of the cars should roll along. I was on 92 the other day and the lack of diner, even for my "short" trip from Raleigh to Newark would have been beneficial for a wholesome choo choo lunch.
 #1407484  by R30A

This is not the same diner that was tested last time. 68000-Albany was delivered both the first and second times. This is 68001-Annapolis. It was the Dorm for which a different car was delivered for the second set of tests (69000 vs 69001)