• Interesting Consist Discussion for the North Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

BostonUrbEx wrote:1027 has been playing cab car for probably a month now. If I recall correctly, there is actually a cab car right behind it, too. Or at some point there was. I wonder what is wrong with the cab car.
The 1027 was on a set initially without a control car. Then it was added to a different set where the control car went bad.
  by ck4049

Kawasaki coach 732(from the original 1990-91 order) is now assigned North. I believe it is in the 1075/1813 consist.
  by octr202

There was a set with a 700 (perhaps it was 732) next to a 900 series this morning passing through Waltham. IIRC it was a three flats, two K's, and an F40, likely on 404. First time I think I've ever seen double K cars up north on the same train.
  by dbperry

I thought Kawasaki doubles had some clearance issues up north?
  by blackcap

Increasing the clearances for the F40PH's back in the late '70s and 80's most likely took care of most of those problems, at least with vertical clearances, as the F40PH's are about the same height as the K's.
  by deathtopumpkins

dbperry wrote:I thought Kawasaki doubles had some clearance issues up north?
Nope. I've ridden them several times over the years.
  by Rockingham Racer

Maybe there is a restriction, but it's not on the Haverhill Line. I saw 209 with two of them the other day at Ballardvale.
  by MBTA3247

The K cars are cleared across the entire system. As some of you might remember, there was a period a few years back where a handful were running in regular service on the northside.
  by dth9269

I think I just saw a rescue operation...one of the work locomotives (3247?) headed west at a good clip, and shortly (15-20 minutes) later came back through West Cambridge leading a set of carriages, with locomotive 1033 at the other end.

Dan
  by Rbts Stn

Just before noon I saw a double engined train 414 with the 2002 pushing the 1138 along with the rest of the consist go by here. Seemingly on time.
  by Diverging Route

On 303 now a six-car set, four of which are double-decker including car 1705.

(H/T to octr202 for suggesting this is the Halloween extra set on temporary visit from the south side.)
  by Diverging Route

Megaset (well, for the north side) 2R/4F set on 303 this morning, 1064/1824 on either end.
  by GP40MC1118

Yesterday the 1635 was taken off its trucks and put up on blocks at BET. It's between the Lowell mainline
and the Valley Track. Today two more coaches - 254 & 647 joined it. Observed all the trucks leaving on
flatbed trucks (Eastern Freightways Inc. of S. Brunswick, NJ).

There's another seven coaches on the Valley Track: 377, 385,633,649,650,1603 & 1623.

D
  by Backshophoss

So they are just sending the trucks out to Eastern Car for rebuilding?