• Interesting Consist Discussion for the North Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ST214

It may be the set mentioned in the previous post, but there is a 5 car set with teo Rotems right behind the power. The head Rotem is a cab car.
  by Diverging Route

There have been sets of all bilevels on the Salem specials during Halloween in past years. But in regular service, it is indeed rare!
  by deathtopumpkins

Those Salem special trains were used on regular runs during the day as well. I was very surprised last year when my Newburyport train was 8 bilevels!
  by sery2831

First Rotems to operate was on the North Side as a 4 car set. It was 180x-800-801-9xx. 802 was scrubbed due to a yard accident. To my knowledge a full Rotem set has never operated in revenue service.
  by sery2831

Are you saying th North Side steals a set? We never run sets from the South Side north. And the North Side ones can't make a visit South due to the lack of cab signal testing requirements.
  by Trinnau

On Halloween Day, yes. And with the removal of the 1000's only a 1600-equipped set can't be sent south. Anything else has to have the cab signal test done as part of daily inspection no matter what. If it's functional, it needs to be tested. So a Rotem CC set could go right over the Grand Junction and be put into service on the south side.
  by sery2831

Not true at all. No cab signals tests are performed North at anytime.
  by Trinnau

I'm sure BET tests cab signals regularly in the shop before sending things south (why would they send it south before checking if it worked?), but you are probably right regarding daily north side service. CFR states "operating in equipped territory" so it would not need to be tested if the engine is operating North.
  by Diverging Route

ck4049 wrote:That the 1035/1826 set.
And, it's gone. Now 1035-1620-813-flat-1826. On 331 this evening
  by dbperry

After a T locomotive died in Beverly, Pan Am Railways lent Keolis one of its old Guilford locomotives to help pull its train back to Boston - as spotted by a roving UHub photographer at Mill Creek in Chelsea.
http://www.universalhub.com/2016/some-p ... me-tonight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;