Railroad Forums 

• Polly's Crossing - Ossipee, NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1358809  by B&Mguy

Was there ever a formal stop or station located at Polly's Crossing in Ossipee on the former Conway Branch? Google maps shows it to be a very rural crossing on a dirt road, and it appears that there is nothing really around it. It's marked on most topographical maps of the area, including the DeLorme NH Gazzetter, so obviously the name and location have stuck over the years. I have read a few stories about how this area along with nearby Archer Pond are supposedly haunted, including a story of a young girl named Polly who was hit by a train where the crossing is today. I take stories like that with a grain of salt, but I would be interested if anyone out there has more information about this seemingly random location.

Thanks!
 #1358830  by arthur d.

No listing for Polly's crossing in any employee timetable I have, no listing in the 1923 station agents directory either.
If you have a MP number, I might be able to find the next closest station.
 #1367414  by kwf

Saw this....

Archers Pond & Polly's Crossing

Ossipee, NH - The rumors about Archers Pond and Polly's Crossing are endless. Ghosts walking around with a shotgun, chilling screams that will send you running, the ghost of a young girl walking the tracks, apparitions, voices.... All classic signs of a possible haunting, but is Archers Pond and Polly's Crossing is Ossipee, New Hampshire really haunted? Is it just rumors? Is it a stunt to get people to come to the town of Ossipee? Or is it real?

http://www.nhtourguide.com/haunted_plac ... ossing.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nhtourguide.com/haunted_plac ... gation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1396086  by eustis22

Was there ever a branch or spur that crossed the bearcamp river? Possibly a logging railroad near the base of Mt Whittier? There is an old abutment that does not look wide enough to be for a bridge for cars just off Norman Drew Road.
 #1397322  by Mikejf

Pretty close. I looked too, and even tried various locations until I got close to those numbers. Boonies for sure, and no sign of any RR grade anywhere..searched for the road name too. Unknown to google maps.
 #1397323  by Mikejf

Ok. The Newman Drew Rd. Google maps 43.819489,-71.209178

Years ago, Mt Whittier was a ski area. I assume what you saw was remnants of that, since the Newman Drew Rd was in the same area.
 #1398283  by b&m 1566

The new coordinates put me at Polly's Crossing. Either way, I use Google Street view (had time to kill), and found no such abutments or anything that resembles one within view of the camera shots. Satellite and aerial photos shows nothing. I cannot find any thing in regards to a railroad spur in West Ossipee when I did a history search of the area.
FYI - The mountain that everyone refers to as Mt. Whittier is actually Nickerson Mountain. I learned that in my search. Mt. Whittier, is actually to the right of Nickerson Mountain when looking south.
 #1398395  by eustis22

I'll have to grab a pic next time I paddle the bearcamp

some old docs I found mentioned "many bridges" across the bearcamp. It's preobably an old road abutment.