Railroad Forums 

• An L-4b at Anderson IN

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1383095  by Roger Hensley

November 1955
An L-4b at work in Anderson just before the end came for it. This Mohawk was retired in June of 1956.
James C. Suhs Collection.

#1383209  by BR&P

Nice pic - thanks! Must have been very impressive in person.

Awful lot of leaves still on the trees for November.....
 #1383232  by Allen Hazen

I know, relatively inexpensive colour film was widely available by 1955, but it still surprises me to see a colour photo of working steam!

As for the trees… Anderson is in Monroe County, northeast of Inianapolis (on, I would guess, the Big Four line to St Louis): not really SOUTHERN Indiana, but noticeably south of the Toledo to Chicago main line: I would guess that leaves turn and fall a bit later there than they would further north. Any Monroe County residents here to confirm or deny?
 #1383268  by Roger Hensley

That's Madison County, not Monroe, and, yes, it depends on the year as to when the leaves will fall.

The rail line is the Big Four from Cleveland to St Louis through Indianapolis, and the photo was taken 40 miles North East of Indy.
 #1383418  by Allen Hazen

My memory is really going! I think I'd looked up the county about five minutes before posting, and STILL managed to confuse Madison and Monroe. … I have never knowingly been in Madison County, don't really know what its climate would be. Monroe County (about as far southwest of Indianapolis as Madison is northeast of it) is where IU Bloomington, where I spent a semester (living in an apartment overlooking the Indiana Railroad), is-- it is southern enough in climatic and environmental matters to have opossums.
---
Sorry for off-topic babbling! Thank you, again, for posting these photos of the New York Central!
 #1383530  by NYCRRson

"it is southern enough in climatic and environmental matters to have opossums."

I live on the southern shore of Lake Ontario (we call it the North Coast of the USA) and we have opossums. Plenty of them. You can't leave pet food outdoors for strays because the opossums and raccoons and foxes and coyotes will eat it. Then they expect to find it and start hanging around and become a problem.

They range all the way to upper Michigan and into Maine. Hardy little buggers. They are bigger the further north you find them.

Cheers, Kevin