Railroad Forums 

• Railroad radio updating

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1333922  by Pj

I am currently in the process of updating the Pan Am section over at radiorefernce. I am looking for SOLID information on Pan Am for the district limits (Town/City name and milepost, if known) and frequencies/use within those districts.

I have done the google fu and there is a bunch of holdover information from GRS but I am not sure what, if any has changed since I am not as local to the RR as I once was.

Since I don't have access to ETT's, its hard to determine which is out dated or current based off of speculation and 10 year old websites. Any information would be great.

For those of you who do use radiorefernce and modern scanners, I am adding GPS location for the railroads so that as you travel across the state or country only the local stuff will be loaded instead of everything out there.

If you are a current PAR TE&Y, please PM me and I'll do a bit more digging and explanation. Thanks!
 #1333946  by newpylong

Pan Am ETT #3:

District 1: AAR TX/RX 34/34

FML (Winn to WL CPF 199) This is actually wrong as Yard Limits extend from Winn east to Keag (Mattawamkeag). CPF 199 is South Portland.
Bucksport Branch
Brunswick Branch
Hinckley Branch
Mountain Branch
Rumford Branch
(Madison Branch when it was in service too)

District 2: AAR TX/RX 34/34, 94/70 and 86/86

FML CPF 199 to CPF 312 312 is in Littleton
Western Route Main Line
Northern Main Line
Hillsboro Branch
Portsmouth Branch

District 3: AAR TX/RX 94/70 and 86/86

FML EL CPF 312 to CPF 468 468 is Mechanicvile
Worcester Main Line
Conn River Main Line
Rotterdam Branch
Waterbury Branch

Let me know if you have any further questions specifically and I can look it up when I have time.
 #1333975  by Pj

To make what I am looking for easier, this is the current version (that's in the works) for the Massachusetts listings:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=9099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a full line up on how I want it to look like, as close as possible, look here:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=6260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anything to fill in the blanks would be good.
 #1333985  by GP40MC1118

Boston East/Terminal/Valley:
14/14
Boston to Newburyport
Gloucester Branch
Boston to CPW-WJ
Boston Terminal Area (North Station, Grand Jct Running Track, Boston Engine Terminal)

Boston West/Fitchburg
32/32

Boston to CPF-WL (Willows)
Boston to CPF-BY (Bleachery/Lowell)

Dave
 #1334016  by BostonUrbEx

newpylong wrote:This is actually wrong as Yard Limits extend from Winn east to Keag (Mattawamkeag).
Winn to Keag is "other than main track," not yard limits.
 #1334073  by newpylong

Semantics - the point remains, the radio must support all the way to Keag which is the end of the line.

Last I looked DCS used to be to Keag but they have been altering DCS limits lately to avoid needing paper for yard and interchange moves.
 #1334079  by KSmitty

Pan Am used to have a radio tower map online. Cant seem to find it. Anyone got a copy or link to it?
 #1334158  by Backshophoss

There's still the possibilty that PAR and PAS have narrowbanded their channels by now,
wonder if MBTA commuter rail has also gone narrowband as well?
 #1334165  by Pj

Narrowband mandate has long past. All are (or suppose to be) narrowbanded.

All it did was make the 25khz channels 12.5 wide, but the freq are the same.
 #1334218  by neman2

KSmitty wrote:Pan Am used to have a radio tower map online. Cant seem to find it. Anyone got a copy or link to it?
I have it from 2009, now lets see if I can attach it correctly-
Pan Am RR Tower Map.pdf
 #1334225  by KSmitty

neman2 wrote:
KSmitty wrote:Pan Am used to have a radio tower map online. Cant seem to find it. Anyone got a copy or link to it?
Pan Am RR Tower Map.pdf
Hey hey! Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for!
 #1334324  by EDFLD Bill

That map is out of date as they have added several more sites recently...

EDFLD-Bill

Pan Am used to have a radio tower map online. Cant seem to find it. Anyone got a copy or link to it?

Pan Am RR Tower Map.pdf
[/quote]
 #1334338  by MEC407

Question for current or recently-former employees: is there still a radio dead zone in the Saco area? I remember that being problematic for the crews in the '90s and early 2000s when I lived down that way.
 #1334419  by CPF363

What would be good is if District 2 could adopt its own radio channel that are separate from those of District 3. A check of the FCC database indicates that the railroad has many active frequencies that it could use to split the two districts up: 160.230MHz, 160.260MHz, 160.350MHz, 161.235MHz and 161.310MHz.