Railroad Forums 

• ACR - One Crazy Idea

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1318892  by MikeCDN

There's a lot of talk about the ACR and its current status. Being a former Northern Ontarian, I have one crazy idea involving the line.

Based that passenger numbers are key to any passenger train, the fact that the ACR more-or-less sits as an island line, and the fact that the Sault could use better transportation between other communities:

How possible would be for the ACR line to connect with G&W line to Sudbury? The train could originate in Hearst and terminate at Sudbury via Sault Ste Marie, ON? One train could do it all.

I raise this on the fact that the Sault now has its own university that is becoming increasingly popular with students from Southern Ontario. Outfitters and their patrons could use the service and connect with Toronto bound trains. Communities, such as Blind River etc, would benefit as the Greyhound has reduced its service.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Mike
 #1318961  by Ken V

As it is, the train between Hearst and the Sault takes almost 10 hours. With the condition of the track on the Huron Central it would likely add another 5 hours or so to the trip by extending the train to Sudbury. If Sault Ste Marie to Sudbury were to be added then why not tack a couple more hours on and include North Bay too?
 #1319107  by MikeCDN

Great idea Ken!

My take is that there's plenty of interest in tourism to these regions with little transportation resources ( Greyhound has reduced its service ). These regions have the strongest of potential for tourism, unlike other parts of the province.

Five hours seems a bit excessive for a passenger train that is considerably lighter than a freighter. There are numerous provincial parks along the HCRY and some re-furbished RDCs could easily do the trick as they can haul more luggage.

What is the track condition like between Sudbury and North Bay?

Mike
 #1319127  by MikeCDN

I'd like to further add that North Bay and the Sault both have universities which students would benefit by having rail access to.