Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1304423  by Statkowski

It's one of PRR's many gas-electrics, manufactured by Brill. Bi-directional, one car served as an entire passenger train on the lighter-trafficked branch lines. Service from Treton could have been for the Bel-Del Division heading northward from Trenton.
 #1304433  by westernfalls

Well, yes, it is Trenton.
And that red thing is commonly known as a doodlebug.
But mostly it's yet another improperly linked photo.
It can be found with full description on the RailPictures website or on the GodFatherRails website.
Only the tracks on the eastbound side of the station lead directly to the Bordentown Branch which explains the two trains.
The Nellie Bly is ready for departure to Atlantic City and the doodlebug is one of the Camden commuter trains.
 #1304436  by amtrakhogger

The doodlebug also ran to Red Bank via Midway and Jamesburg.
 #1304673  by 25Hz

Thank you all for the info & replies! I found it via google image search for trenton looking for images of the station that existed two stations ago. The one built by PRR was replaced with an ugly amshack style eyesore, then that was replaced by the current modern and enjoyable structure.
 #1304675  by 25Hz

Here is one survivor:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=172063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is one in service in 1976:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2622167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might be worth a trip up to ringoes (not that far away from me) to see that first one in person. If i do, i'll post photos. :)
 #1304753  by pumpers

westernfalls wrote:Well, yes, it is Trenton.
And that red thing is commonly known as a doodlebug.
But mostly it's yet another improperly linked photo.
It can be found with full description on the RailPictures website or on the GodFatherRails website.
Only the tracks on the eastbound side of the station lead directly to the Bordentown Branch which explains the two trains.
Do you mean they would take the "hill track" (now out of service) to get to the Bordentown branch? I guess as noted the doodlebug could also have gone the otherway to Monmouth Junction and Jamestown, etc.
The Nellie Bly is ready for departure to Atlantic City and the doodlebug is one of the Camden commuter trains.
Did the Nellie Bly take the main towards Philadelphia? If so did it have to reverse at Frankfort Junction for Delair bridge or was there a wye?
THanks, JS
 #1304765  by westernfalls

pumpers wrote: Do you mean they would take the "hill track" (now out of service) to get to the Bordentown branch?
I guess as noted the doodlebug could also have gone the otherway to Monmouth Junction and Jamestown, etc.
Did the Nellie Bly take the main towards Philadelphia? If so did it have to reverse at Frankfort Junction for Delair bridge or was there a wye?
At the time, it was the Bordentown Branch; indeed, it went up a hill.
The doodlebugs ran three ways out of Trenton: Camden, Phillipsburg and Red Bank. Given that this one is sitting at the west end of the eastbound platform, it was probably a Camden car.
The Nellie Bly operated via the Bordentown Branch as did the Camden service and a commuter train to Philadelphia. They went their seperate ways near Delair.
 #1304932  by ExCon90

Interesting to think that not long after leaving Trenton the Nellie Bly would be running down the middle of Broad Street in Burlington behind that K4.
 #1305053  by 25Hz

ExCon90 wrote:Interesting to think that not long after leaving Trenton the Nellie Bly would be running down the middle of Broad Street in Burlington behind that K4.
That would be so amazing to see today.
 #1305075  by pumpers

There was a Nellie Bly thread a few years ago.http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 8&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I admit I didn't remember, even though I posted there - I found it by chance with Google.)
At the bottom of the 2nd page, Clamdigger posted that the GG1 electrics were swapped for steam K4's at Trenton. Reading elsewhere in the thread, they did this in 4 minutes!
Jim S