Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1290592  by pumpers

[quote="Train2009"]Next Sunday the Game day service begins:
http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/MeadowlandsBrochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote
Quite a misleading brochure if you ask me. It says "Direct Service from Major New Haven Line stations". Of course, that is "direct" to Secaucus", not to the stadium. You have to click the link and then read the fine print that says you have to transfer at Secaucus. I'm not arguing that it is not a huge improvement over going to Grand Central and then 2 subways to Penn Station, etc. (reducing a total of 5 rides to 2) , just that it is misleading. JS
 #1290678  by truck6018

pumpers wrote: Quite a misleading brochure if you ask me. It says "Direct Service from Major New Haven Line stations".
Nothing misleading. It clearly states "Via Secaucus Junction" in the service details. No fine print reading necessary.
 #1290681  by pumpers

By fine print, I meant having to look past the cover page where it just says "direct service", which in my book is not true. We can agree to disagree.
JS
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Nesting quote removed
 #1293859  by Terrapin Station

Since you have to change trains at Secaucus even if you take a non-"direct" train from the New Haven Line, the "direct" in this case refers to what happens in Midtown Manhattan, not what happens in NJ. Everyone coming from Midtown Manhattan on an NJT train has to change at Secaucus.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Nesting quote removed
 #1294754  by Trainer

Okay, so I've bought my Jets tickets for November 9th and am considering getting a "one-seat ticket" to the game from South Norwalk (technically from Danbury - and I realize since we have to switch trains in Secaucus, my "one seat" is really a "three seat" from Danbury ). I've read the (rather good) information on the website, and I'm fairly confident that it would work out getting there with no problem. However, paranoid as I am, I'm a little suspect about getting back from Jersey as readily as I get there with thousands of people rushing for the train at the same moment. Does anyone have any practical feedback as to how this is working out so far? I'd love to take the unusual train trip, and wouldn't have any problem having an adventure just by myself, but I don't want to get stuck in Jersey with the family members I'm bringing along.

And on the other hand, being that this is a Jets game, there's a good possibilty that we'll want to be leaving before the 4th quarter anyway.
 #1294766  by DutchRailnut

stuck no, in case you miss the New Haven train you could take any NJT train to NYP, either walk or take subway to GCT and take a MN train back to Danbury.
only way you could get stuck is if you miss last train out of Meadowlands.
 #1294774  by Trainer

True enough. But getting that 5:13 PM train out of Secaucus Junction is the whole key to the unique ride. I could plan the whole trip from SouthEast on the Harlem line and schlep across to Penn Station in about the same time anyway, but I wanted to give this a shot.

But I think my 3-seat ride just became a 2-seat ride. Waiting at South Norwalk for an hour on the way down is one thing, but the timing of connecting service back to Danbury is problematic - the Game Train drops you off at South Norwalk at 7:17 PM and the next shuttle back to Danbury doesn't leave until 10:13 PM. Hang out at SoNo for 3 hours? No thanks. I hope SoNo has good parking, or I'm off to Stamford.
 #1295197  by Terrapin Station

Trainer wrote:Okay, so I've bought my Jets tickets for November 9th and am considering getting a "one-seat ticket" to the game from South Norwalk (technically from Danbury - and I realize since we have to switch trains in Secaucus, my "one seat" is really a "three seat" from Danbury ). I've read the (rather good) information on the website, and I'm fairly confident that it would work out getting there with no problem. However, paranoid as I am, I'm a little suspect about getting back from Jersey as readily as I get there with thousands of people rushing for the train at the same moment. Does anyone have any practical feedback as to how this is working out so far? I'd love to take the unusual train trip, and wouldn't have any problem having an adventure just by myself, but I don't want to get stuck in Jersey with the family members I'm bringing along.

And on the other hand, being that this is a Jets game, there's a good possibilty that we'll want to be leaving before the 4th quarter anyway.
IINM the "direct" train leaves SEC late enough after the game that you shouldn't have a problem getting from the Stadium to SEC as long as you don't dilly-dally after the game. Know your most direct route from your seats to the station.

As far as leaving before the 4th quarter - I've never understood this. If you've spent all this time and money to come attend an NFL game, why wouldn't you stay until the end and get your money's worth?
 #1295281  by bleet

And leaving early won't really get you home early. There are a number of trains back to Secaucus Station before the end of the game, but it appears from the schedule that there is only one train that operates through Penn Station into Metro North territory.
 #1295439  by Trainer

bleet wrote:And leaving early won't really get you home early. There are a number of trains back to Secaucus Station before the end of the game, but it appears from the schedule that there is only one train that operates through Penn Station into Metro North territory.
I know, but my concern was thousands of people headed to Secaucus all at the same time. I realize that there's only one ride home from there, and I figure that the same size train that got us all there should have no problem finding room to bring us all back.

And as to leaving early, anyone who saw the game on Sunday knows why. But we'll see. If it's cold or rainy, that factors in as well.
 #1297636  by Bill D

Last evening I traveled from GCT to West Haven on train #6550. Due to a heavy passenger load and associated delays, passengers for West Haven were required to get off at Milford and wait for another train which was "right behind". Train #3148 (the Meadowlands train) made an unscheduled stop at Milford to pick us up. Not sure how much time was shaved off #6550's run, but it made for an interesting experience.

Bill
 #1302597  by Trainer

So, bought my tickets (very easy from ticket machine), parked at SoNo, Football train was 25 mins late due to "mechanical difficulties" but no problem. Train crew knew what they were doing, enjoyed startled faces watching NJ Transit bomb train going by. Train LURCHED hard every time brakes were applied, but otherwise nice ride to Penn. Arrived at Secaucus (beautiful terminal), transferred smoothly to Meadowlands train, and enjoyed watching the Jets win for a change!

After the game, NJT trainsets all ready at the Meadowlands, local crew smoothly loaded the trains, plenty of capacity (first ride on the double-level car, very impressed). Then confusion at Secaucus. Train back to Connecticut was not listed on the boards, customer service people said "Never heard of the train, and we should buy Amtrak tickets if we wanted to get back to Connecticut(!)". Finally figured out the only track it could leave from (A), and sure enough right on time it came up to the platform right after the scheduled local. Startled the hell out of the customer service crew, as it was not on their schedule at all. Uneventful ride back, except that at Stamford local people poured onto the train, pointing to the NJ Transit markings but settling in anyway. After the train left the station, the conductor came back, scratched his head, and started collecting tickets, but since the train only made limited stops some people were going to be surprised.

Back to SoNo. Kudo's to all the operational crew, and will do this again.
 #1302614  by runningwithscalpels

The equipment leaves much to be desired in the whiplash department. I've been told it's the lovely mixed Comet consists they run.

And of note, the train was having issues in New Haven, so the mechanical difficulty claim isn't a euphemism for anything.
 #1302636  by Trainer

runningwithscalpels wrote:
And of note, the train was having issues in New Haven, so the mechanical difficulty claim isn't a euphemism for anything.
I thought it might have had to do with delay around another incident that morning.