Railroad Forums 

• Uptsn Station

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#123533  by NJ Vike

I was driving along RT70 when I noticed a street sign that read Upton Station Rd. Where was the station located and what RR was there? PRSL?
Is this the same tracks that pass Heritage Minerals?

Thanks

Ken
 #126104  by JJMDiMunno

NJ Vike wrote:I was driving along RT70 when I noticed a street sign that read Upton Station Rd. Where was the station located and what RR was there? PRSL?
Is this the same tracks that pass Heritage Minerals?

Thanks

Ken
Ken,
This would be the PRR line to Toms River...the segment in question would be between the railroad junctions of Pemberton (Pemberton Branch and Dix Running Track / Kinkora Branch) and Whiting (Line to Toms River and CNJ Southern Division). I am showing a station at milepost 34.6, still in service as of 1947, called Upton station. This was right at Upton Station road.

Passenger service to Toms River ceased on this line on June 22, 1952. The final train was PRR train 996, which departed Toms River for Camden at 5:20PM. It would have departed Upton station at 5:40PM, if that station was still in service at that time (I can find no record of this station being abandoned before this date, so I assume it was still in service at this time). Freight traffic was all but gone by 1965, and the line was formally abandoned in that year between Birmingham / Pemberton and Toms River. Track was ripped up in summer of 1967.

And that's all she wrote...

Mike DiMunno
Last edited by JJMDiMunno on Thu May 12, 2005 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

#126112  by NJ Vike

Mike,

MANY THANKS!!!!!!

End of mystery :-D

#126824  by David

Upton Station (34.6) was located between the Brown's Mills station (30.7) and Whitings Station (42.9). In 1971 I discovered the foundations and concrete remains of Upton Station while riding my motorcycle on the line between Route 70 (Mount Misery) and Whitings Junction.

#126888  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Upton Station (34.6) was located between the Brown's Mills station (30.7) and Whitings Station (42.9). In 1971 I discovered the foundations and concrete remains of Upton Station while riding my motorcycle on the line between Route 70 (Mount Misery) and Whitings Junction.
David,

Thanks. I will be looking for the remains next time I head down there. Any idea when it may have closed? How about any PRR books that covered NJ?

Did you ever get up here to NJ with Mike to see Sparta?

Ken

#127059  by JJMDiMunno

NJ Vike wrote:
David,

Thanks. I will be looking for the remains next time I head down there. Any idea when it may have closed? How about any PRR books that covered NJ?

Ken
Ken,
I believe we have something scheduled like that for this June...might want to get in contact with David about that. He's the schedule man :)

Mike DiMunno

#127199  by NJ Vike

JJMDiMunno wrote:
NJ Vike wrote:
David,

Ken
Ken,
I believe we have something scheduled like that for this June...might want to get in contact with David about that. He's the schedule man :)

Mike DiMunno

Mike,

I'll do that. I remember letting David know that I could show you guys the location of the abandoned ROWs as well as active locations in my area.

Ken