Railroad Forums 

• freight

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1255180  by dan55

Would BNSF pull your freight cars for you if you paid them? Say you have 50 loaded freight cars (that you own, you're not using BNSF freight cars you just need them to use their locomotives to pull them) and need to bring them to Florida, would BNSF pull them
 #1255509  by mmi16

Are your cars legal for unrestricted interchange service in North America?
Is your location served by BNSF?
Are you intending to move the cars loaded or empty?
Do you have the financial wherewithall to be able to pay the freight bill?

The carriers really prefer customers to use their own cars to carry the customers shipments - if the customer invests in the cars, the carrier doesn't have to and the customer will get a lower freight rate than if the shipments were moved in carrier owned cars.
 #1269662  by catfish63755

The local power generating station where I live owns a number (not sure how many) of rotary coupler hopper cars that are compatible with their rotary unloader. For at least 20 years they used UPRR to deliver their coal to the plant, but in the last year BNSF has built its own track in to service the plant and has taken over delivery of coal to the plant. So long story shirt, yes BNSF or any other line can deliver your cars if it's an area served by their line and if you pay hem enough.
 #1269709  by Freddy

I'd think they'd also have to be inspected by the switching roads car department(brake rigging,air line issues) before a pull would be OKed.