Railroad Forums 

• CS sign meaning

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1232357  by MattW

I've been Googling, but Google must not like two-letter words, and I can't figure out what this means. Along CSX's Georgia subdivision in Lithonia, GA, I've noticed two signs, one at the south end of a long siding just before it rejoins the main track, and one at the north end which seems similarly positioned. The signs simply say "CS" and I'm not sure if they're new or not, but what do they mean? The only two terms I can think of are Cab Signals or Controlled Siding.
Thanks!
 #1234161  by ExCon90

I'm not that familiar with CSX terminology, but the term Cut Section is sometimes used to denote the end of a track circuit. If the siding switch is protected by interlocking signals, the CS sign might indicate that only the part of the siding nearest the switch is track-circuited and the rest of the siding not -- and thus that equipment should not be left standing between the sign and the switch. If the switch is not interlocked, the CS sign might indicate that equipment standing between the sign and the switch is occupying a track circuit which would indicate to the system that the switch is occupied.
 #1235889  by Ken W2KB

Most likely "Controlled Siding" which means the siding is governed by signals and is controlled by the dispatcher.
 #1239498  by MattW

Well, I think I can confirm now that CS means controlled siding. Thanks to who I assume is RR.net's own Jersey_Mike, he runs a blog known as The Position Light which is all about signals. I won't repost the entirety of the information in the post here out respect (and copyright laws :P) but he made a post earlier this year about a resignaling elsewhere in Georgia but on CSX involving a controlled siding. In the post he says that entry into a controlled siding on CSX is governed by a restricting signal since the siding doesn't have detection. The signal governing entry into the siding in question in Lithonia is a two-headed signal with an upper three-light signal and lower two-light signal. From past observations I know the second head can display at least a red aspect, and I've heard the local switch job call Restricting when they actually entered the siding so presumably the other color on the second head is yellow (could be lunar I guess) so since other aspects with a lower-head showing yellow don't make sense in this particular situation, I think it's reasonable to assume that this is a controlled siding and the CS signs indicate the limits. Thanks to all who responded!
Link to the blog post: http://position-light.blogspot.com/2013 ... in-3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1255539  by mmi16

Ken W2KB wrote:Most likely "Controlled Siding" which means the siding is governed by signals and is controlled by the dispatcher.
CSX's Georgia Sub, where Lithonia is located does not have Disptacher controlled signals. It is Track Warrant territory with automatic block signals. The CS sign denotes the end of a track circuit and is used in conjuction with stopping clear of highway grade crossing protection.