Railroad Forums 

• CSX Signals in Waxhaw, NC

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1223333  by GP-30Kid

I had a quick question referring to the new signals being installed in Waxhaw, NC along the former SAL main. Does anyone have any possible contact info regarding the whereabouts or plans for the recently replaced, original SAL signals and targets. I contacted CSX this morning about how i would go about properly obtaining them within the law because the recent problems with theft is a big concern, and they said to contact the local scrap dealers. I saw the saw the trucks taking them towards Monroe, NC and there small yard there so i have a feeling everything is being controlled through there. I would love to obtain one or some of those original signals but i wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal. If anyone has any help they can pass along it would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
 #1223830  by TotalLamer

GP-30Kid wrote:I had a quick question referring to the new signals being installed in Waxhaw, NC along the former SAL main. Does anyone have any possible contact info regarding the whereabouts or plans for the recently replaced, original SAL signals and targets. I contacted CSX this morning about how i would go about properly obtaining them within the law because the recent problems with theft is a big concern, and they said to contact the local scrap dealers. I saw the saw the trucks taking them towards Monroe, NC and there small yard there so i have a feeling everything is being controlled through there. I would love to obtain one or some of those original signals but i wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal. If anyone has any help they can pass along it would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
If they're in Monroe, they probably just lay them under the big overpass that goes right over the yard, that's where all the other old Engineering Dept junk goes. Actually if I remember right, last time I was on a train down there (Q195 I think?) there were already some of the old signals they were replacing from Monroe -> Hamlet laid out. Not certain. Either way, you'd probably want to talk to like... I dunno... an Engineering Dept manager of some kind. Roadmaster or something.
 #1223864  by Freddy

Try to find the signal supervisor, he'd be the one to see. If he's not headquartered in Monroe he'll be in Hamlet. If you get permission it'll be either him or the maintainer who'll have to be
present when you get what you want. For reasons of safety, insurance, etc, etc. I had to be present one time when a guy got an old xing mast, signs and gate mechanism from where I was headquartered. Me and another maintainer pieced together a gate with some lights and now the thing is all together in his back yard. Works like a charm.