Railroad Forums 

• BKMA Aerial Report

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1222899  by samayotte

Extra BKMA, what do you see?

http://samayotte.com/PAR_Penobscot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What if you started in Bucksport, ME (MP B19) and operated north to Bangor,

joined the freight main at Calais Junction (MP 57.6),

and then ran east all the way to Mattawamkeag (MP 0)?

On Columbus day, that's exactly what I did.

Mostly, you'd see a lot of single track and wilderness.
[ The amount of recently replaced ties I saw was staggering. In terms of new ballast, it has to be thousands of tons. ]

You'd see towns that aren't even a wide spot in the road.

You'd see the amazing Cable Stay Bridge in Bucksport.
You'd see the Bangor waterfront. You'd see "tin bridge".

You'd see U/Maine at Orono.

You'd see paper mills in Bucksport, Old Town, and Lincoln.

You'd see the Bangor and Old Town airports.
You'd see remote and mysterious 'keag.

And then you'd refuel, change your callsign to MANA, and run for home.
 #1222922  by KSmitty

Some of my favorite stomping grounds!
Nice report as always! Some places look so different from the air (Lincoln) and others (Keag/OT) are instantly recognizable. Very cool to see everything up north from the birds eye, I especially appreciated the shot of 'dumkeag bog.

http://samayotte.com/PAR_Penobscot.larg ... cot_78.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- New Brunswick Southern is putting in more of the blonde ties...
 #1223254  by newpylong

Very nice. Great for someone who has never been that far up. Does the OT mill do anything but Sodium Chlorate?
 #1223272  by KSmitty

newpylong wrote:Very nice. Great for someone who has never been that far up. Does the OT mill do anything but Sodium Chlorate?
Pulp out, and recently LP in (apparently they didn't like the price of the gas coming in from the pipeline.) The yard is surprisingly empty in those shots. Usually at least a track or 2 is plugged with RBOX (yep the old C Plate RBOX) and BM/MEC boxes.. All wood fiber comes in by truck now.
'
Lincoln does nothing but a handful of sodium chlorate each week.