Railroad Forums 

• adding more rail for capacity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#117898  by northjerseybuff

I read an article recently in the Bergen Record about CSX/NS adding more trackage in north jersey this summer to relieve congestion..anyone know where this will take place?

#117943  by JLo

There have been plans for years to 3rd track the Lehigh Line to Potters, two track it from Potters to Bound Brook and two track the ex-Reading from Bound Brook to Trenton. The state is supposed to pay the bulk of it, which, of course, is the problem.

#117948  by Diamond_D

one thing that looks to be for sure, NS is adding a large siding between Flemington Junction and Stanton Station, approximately MP 51-54, which should be a big help on the lehigh line.

#117959  by markyk

The project to put the second track back in between Potter and Bound Brook may have already started. Funding for this is coming from both CSX/NS (1/2) and the State of New Jersey/Port Authority (1/2).

There was a company taking a look at all of the bridges this past week, as well as surveyors making various markings in the CP Potter vicinity.

Don't forget that there is a pipeline which runs alongside the route (north side) and property lines and easements must be noted.

With traffic levels averaging near 43-44 per day......it is needed soon...

#117970  by Lackawanna484

Diamond_D wrote:one thing that looks to be for sure, NS is adding a large siding between Flemington Junction and Stanton Station, approximately MP 51-54, which should be a big help on the lehigh line.
That's a needed improvement. Back in LV glory days, most of the line was double tracked.

I think they may have centered the remaining track in several areas, so there may be some shoving and repositioning to do.

#118000  by Diamond_D

Lackawanna484 wrote:I think they may have centered the remaining track in several areas, so there may be some shoving and repositioning to do.
IF they ever get around to doing the whole line again (sounds so stupid every time I say it... just like tearing up the Cutoff... take out x miles of track to save a few bucks, now you gotta lay it allll back down), I wonder what their Pattenburg plan is?

#118127  by Lackawanna484

Diamond_D wrote:
Lackawanna484 wrote:I think they may have centered the remaining track in several areas, so there may be some shoving and repositioning to do.
IF they ever get around to doing the whole line again (sounds so stupid every time I say it... just like tearing up the Cutoff... take out x miles of track to save a few bucks, now you gotta lay it allll back down), I wonder what their Pattenburg plan is?
The cntering of track was a quick way to allow double stacks and larger cube boxes on some routes. It also let them sell the side of the right of way for natural gas pipelines, fiber optic lines and other income producing properties.

I think there are natural gas pipelines on both sides of the Lehigh Valley for a ways west of Flemington, which could be a problem if they wanted to double track that area.

#118544  by GandyDancer

I wonder what effect, if any, Edison Twp.'s opposition to this plan has had. The NIMBY mayor http://www.edisonnj.org/dot

and his friends from Trenton...
"Our state senator, Barbara Buono and our state assemblymen, Peter Barnes and Patrick Diegnan were present at the meeting. Mrs. Buono stated that she and her colleagues are on our side and will represent us (Westgate Square condo owners) in opposing this additional railroad line. "

remain opposed to Lehigh Line expansion through Edison.

#118563  by markyk

All those letters are from 1993.........There were crazy with anti rail meetings that year as well, but its been really quiet for the last year.....

I don't think they know its coming to fruition this quickly, and I'm not going to tell them.......

mark
(westgate condo owner)

#118602  by CNJFAN

I recently saw surveyors along the Lehigh Line in Middlesex too.

#118623  by wolfboy8171981

during the winter of 03-04 I was a flagman for the survorys between CP-Aldene and CP-NK. They told me they were survaying for a 3rd track, just how far down the pipeline it is I'm not sure.

#118731  by Metalrailz

What kind of time frame are they giving for completion of the project?