Railroad Forums 

• South Gloucester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#116590  by kevikens

Just wanted you to know that I had an opportunity to see something new, for me, anyway, when I heard on my scanner that a local was leaving Bulson St, Camden for "South Gloucester". I had never heard that before and had never seen anything go into the industry of that area. I discovered quite a bit of empty factories and abandoned trackage. It looked like a scene from 1949. Well I followed it into the area and as he was switching I got to talk to the brakeman/conductor, with 42 years on the rr starting with the Pennsy. He told me that it was the first day of operations for a cannery and that there would be more activity on the line, at least for a while, hauling contaminated dirt from the area. Anybody know more about this South Gloucester industrial siding ? If you like to phtograph trains with an indutrial backdrop this might be a good area.

#116703  by railroadcarmover

A dirt transloading operation will be starting up next week. The plan is to move up to 7 gondolas a day of dirt from the transload site. The cars will be moved around at the site using one of my 5TM Trackmobiles, unit #6. The operation is fenced off but can be viewed when the Trackmobile pulls cars down past the gate. This operation will be in phases. But overall will last 7 to 10 years.

#116750  by kevikens

Wow ! Seven years ? Where is all this dirt coming from and pardon my ignorance but what is a trackmobile ?