Railroad Forums 

• Another Small Section of the Erie Vanishes...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#115811  by sullivan1985

In Rutherford, if you're familiar with the area, all the way down at the west end of the Carlton Hill Spur there used to be a concrete elevated side-track that used to stand next to C.H. Frommer - Standard Bleachery.

This small siding was torn down some time within the last month. I had no idea of it, and I kinda sad I didn't get shots of it being demolished.

Not sure why the siding was elevated, because there really isn't any room for car to drop cargo from their under side, but who knows. Maybe someone has some small bit of history available on this small segment of track?

Pictures:
1. Support Beams for Track
2. Support Beams under Snow

I did have more photos of this peice of track in the past, but a horrible hard-drive failure had something againt those photos and they are gone.

So if anyone has any idea of what kind of cargo used to get parked on this elevated track that would be awesome. If it helps, there is a similar side track built the same way along the former Boonton Line in Kearny under the Schuyler Ave overpass just east of the station.

Yet another small peice of the Erie to be removed forever.

#115850  by Lackawanna484

I recall seeing that elevated, short siding years ago, and thought it led to a coal dumper. Maybe it did, years ago, and was cut back